Dynamic amp? / 2nd to main Stax rig / small / $300-$600ish?

s1rrah

A little bit back I sold all my dynamic stuff and went complete electrostat. I was tired of the admittedly lovely, but nit picky Grado GS1000's which sounded like god on certain stuff but which would fall apart on certain other tracks (think early 80's, very thin, sharp in the highs Husker Du tracks, etc.).

I haven't been disappointed with the decision. The Stax SRM-323S amp ... Stax SR-307 and Koss ESP950 headphones that I chose are pretty much a dream combination in so far as working with my entire collection of digital music which spans everything from Black Tusk to Bach to Dana Kurtz to Alela Diane to Judas Priest to the Swans. Pretty diverse and on constant random rotation. And, the Stax stuff doles it all out in spades ... 

But sometimes I find myself missing the pounding bass slam that a dynamic rig can provide and so I've decided to spend about $1000 dollars (500 amp / 500 cans / adjustable ratio between) on such and that will coexist with my main Stax/electrostat set up. I'm pretty sure I'll go with Grado PS500's for the cans but I'm completely clueless what the best amp, in the smallish size range, SS or Tube based, will give me the best for the money.

I have very limited space. I share a 3 bedroom home with two others and pretty much all I have is my desktop (occupied by the aforementioned Stax setup, some 5.1 computer speakers, a keyboard, mouse and a dual monitor setup (the latter which is high enough to not really matter). But space is key ... and so I was hoping I could get some suggestions.

My main concerns:

• Amp footprint has to be no larger than 6.25" x 5.5" ; it will rest on top of my DAC; no flexibility here
  • An AMP/DAC combo would be nice for some variation vs. my standard DAC but pure amp is fine too as I'll simply run out of the parallel out of the Stax amp
  • Solid state or tube is fine. Whatever will work well with 32ohm Grados
  • Price range is $300 to $600 dollars
  • Interested most in synergy with Grados (probably RS1's or PS500's)

If you have any suggestions, please post. 

Here's a shot of the space the amp will have to occupy:

amp.space.jpg

danke.

Gilmore Lite will be perfect if you can find one.  Also, couldn't you stack the DAC on top of the amp instead of the other way around? You could then get something a little bigger if needed.  The Schiit might be something to look into if you can't find a Glite. 

Edited by shellylh

Gilmore Lite will be perfect if you can find one.  Also, couldn't you stack the DAC on top of the amp instead of the other way around? 

@Shelly

I certainly could.

But regarding the maintenance of my own queer sense of visual aesthetic/gestalt (IE > bottom piece should be wider than the top piece) ... which is super important for reasons of OCD ...  that would equal a pretty big amp ... and just going by some gross, personally defined size to cost ratio? ... Most amps that large would be outside of my price range ... (the Stockholm DAC's width is about 11 inches across ...)

BTW ... what are the dimensions of that ECP "proto" that you have?  

;-)

(oh yeah ... re: Gilmore lite ... all I can find are WTB posts) ... feck.

Edited by s1rrah

Schiit Lyr

I was reading about a modded Schitt Lyr on another forum ... it sounded like a power house, K1000's were mentioned .. speakers, maybe (LOL) and so, not knowing too much about all the impedance/ohm stuff .. .I sort of wrote it off in regards to Grados. You think that amp would work for the 32ohm variants? I admit liking the idea of tubes as historically, and just speaking of dynamic amps, ... I've always used mostly Grados ... and the tube amps have worked the best (though the ECP SS amp I heard was even better for whatever reason) ... 

I was reading about a modded Schitt Lyr on another forum ... it sounded like a power house, K1000's were mentioned .. speakers, maybe (LOL) and so, not knowing too much about all the impedance/ohm stuff .. .I sort of wrote it off in regards to Grados. You think that amp would work for the 32ohm variants? I admit liking the idea of tubes as historically, and just speaking of dynamic amps, ... I've always used mostly Grados ... and the tube amps have worked the best (though the ECP SS amp I heard was even better for whatever reason) ... 

Modded Schit Lyr, K1k's? power house???

You sure that isn't the Yggdrasil you're talking about?

Modded Schit Lyr, K1k's? power house???

You sure that isn't the Yggdrasil you're talking about?

I confess .. I combined a for sale post from H-fi (the satanic, apparently) and a 6 moons review (also, possibly satanic) ... 

But here's the H-fi post I mention: http://www.head-fi.org/t/699971/professionally-modded-schitt-lyr

(sorry if that offends anyone. I've already had mods at H-fi reprimand me for linking to images/content at this forum (which I really didn't understand) .. and I really am not aware of the politics between these silly forums and I don't want to fucking know .. you all just chew on each other and leave me be)

But yeah ... 

;-)

I second the Gil-Lite recommendation, however the Lyr... It has a lot of power on tap, but not sure if you'll ever need it. Also the higher noise floor might be a concern.

Headphone wise if slam is what you need try finding a Paradox modded T50RP. For me it trounced anything Grado could muster up. For amps I'd try these guys. Maybe even order a kit to play around.

My two euro cents.

I second the Gil-Lite recommendation, however the Lyr... It has a lot of power on tap, but not sure if you'll ever need it. Also the higher noise floor might be a concern.

Headphone wise if slam is what you need try finding a Paradox modded T50RP. For me it trounced anything Grado could muster up. For amps I'd try these guys. Maybe even order a kit to play around.

My two euro cents.

I've already talked a bit with the Garage1217 guys ... a nice bunch of folk. I haven't read too much about those neat looking little amps, though and so I'm reluctant. It is a curious little amp, though ... cute. Would really like to demo one before buying, though ... or at least hear something about it from a reputable source. So cheap, though ... might get one anyway just because. 

If going M^3 route, Mike is selling the zebra amp. Win-win for everyone. The footprint exceeds requirements though...

To tell you the truth ... after reading around quite a bit ... the M3 is by far my favorite and seems to offer the most for the money. I'm assuming that amp is in the for sale section? I'll have a look and might be able switch things around on the desk a bit ... thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: I think that amp will fit perfect on top of my SRM-323S. If I could get dimensions and check for that fit ... and if it fits ... I will buy it immediately.

Let me know ... 

Edited by s1rrah

Didn't realize Mike's (Tyrion) Zebra M^3 was still up for sale. Buy it!!!

His classified at another site is closed but I messaged him anyway that I wanted to buy it. I think it would stack perfect on top of the Stax amp (see what I did there?).

Joel, When you get an dynamic headphone, let me know if you want to borrow the DIY Torpedo.  It has been in my office so most likely bb free.  It is a really fun amp and works with high and low impedance amp.  The only downside is it has a hint of hum which I don't notice at all except when there is no music.  According to Doug, this has been fixed in the newer version.