McIntosh to get into own range of headphones and amp

complin

CES

McIntosh revealed that it is developing its own headphone range to go with the MHA100 headphone amplifier ($5000). Shown in prototype form at the CES show were the flagship MHP1000 over-ear headphones that will go on sale in the first half of 2014 for around $2000. More affordable models will be added to the range in due course.

Edited by complin

I've read about the MHA100 amplifier, there's a report about it at Innerfidelity and a video by Tyll. It looks very impressive, an all in one which may fit a lot of requirements. With a speaker output it may even be usable to drive Stax amp with an energizer like the SRD-7 pro.

I wish they post some listening impressions. I like how it looks. There's that thing about McIntosh stuff  :wub:

The headphones look a bit like circumaural Grado's on a german frame (beyer/senn)

Apparently the amplifier has 50 watt output for speakers which begs the question is it just an integrated amp with a headphone socket (i.e. Leben) ?

A rebadged Beyer for $2000, no thanks.

Yeah, I too thought it was pretty clear that Beyer had a hand in its design and manuafacture.

I think it's pretty clear that the unit shown in the pic from CES is a prototype. I'd bet that the final version won't look like that, other than the nameplate.

McIntosh has historically not been a me-too company. They also are pretty adamant about in-house development & manufacture. I hope the headphones models will adhere to a similar ideal. Otherwise they will be just overpriced copies.

I don't have a problem with them getting into the statement headamp market, but if the phones are just going to be rebadged something elses, they should pull out, before we get another Lexicon/Oppo style fiasco.  If they actually put some thought into it and make audible improvements, however, and I wouldn't put it past them...

This has been going on for decades so nothing new about this in audio

I don't have a problem with them getting into the statement headamp market, but if the phones are just going to be rebadged something elses, they should pull out, before we get another Lexicon/Oppo style fiasco.  If they actually put some thought into it and make audible improvements, however, and I wouldn't put it past them...