New HBO series True Detective

Pars

In retrospective, one odd feeling I was left with:

There were so many side stories and possibly interesting loops that were left hanging. Biker gang side story, detailing of Carcosa rites/place, Lebau family story through years, Cole's early years side story, the family funding the charter schools, was not very well developed either. The way the series was wrapped up, with the elimination of one "culprit" left a dead end, yet given the level of "cult character" of the killings, it stands that there are probably dozens of members left?

Maybethe main characters had other committments and/or limited time for this project. Could be a network move as well. They could have gone so much deeper into the dark stuff. Don't get this wrong, I enjoyed it, I just wished the would have gone deeper.

Edited by CD44hi

unfortunately, reports are the next season will have a new cast

I think the idea of a new cast / new story every year is exciting. American Horror Story has kind of done this, although they do generally maintain the same troupe of actors, the story and setting is different every season, the only constant being the genre. Given, American Horror Story is overall pretty bad, but similar to True Blood, its at least entertaining, with generally good performances.

MM and Woody were absolutely outstanding. They need to pull some crazy talented actors for season two. I'm hoping at least one of the leads is female.

I've thought american horror story was all around excellent, but what do I know.  But like you said, the cast has been fairly consistent, even with the new storyline every year.

Season one I enjoyed. Season two, for me, got really sloppy towards the end. Too many disparate story lines going on, although it was the most horrifying season yet. Season three I probably enjoyed the most, but I still felt the ending was a little sloppy.

So basically to me they start out strong, then kind of peter out, like the writers aren't sure how to wrap it up. But hey, I'm watching all the episodes and enjoying them. Jessica Lange alone is so wonderful, her performance last season was outstanding. But I think my wife told me she won't be in season 4?

• 1 year later...

I am excited but sad at the same time.  Tim really loved True Detective and was looking forward to the next one.   I'm going to try and watch it but it may still be too difficult at this point.  Tim loved detective shows/movies (Poirot was his all time favorite) and so I have been mostly avoiding them.  

• 1 month later...

Watched the first two episodes. I like it so far. Its very dark, and I love that. I'm a public finance lawyer so a detective story about civil corruption and bad behavior should be right up my alley. I love how "Vinci" is a thinly disguised City of Industry.

I also love seeing Rachael McAdams in something other than a rom-com. She is insanely gorgeous, all the more so when she is playing a brooding detective instead of some girl-next-door.

• 2 weeks later...