Koss 950 (really turn me on) ...

s1rrah

They do sound nice. Slightly fuller overall and with a less harsh treble than comparably priced Stax.  Maybe one day  they'll fix the "squeal" issue. Mine are on their 4th set of drivers (all supplied under Koss warranty-superb unlimited "no questions asked" service} and could use a new set.

Perhaps someday Koss will attempt a genuine world-class product. I'd bet it would be very interesting.

You like them more than the the SR-307?  

Yeah ... I like them more than the 307's ... just so easy. Personally, with both the 307's and the 950's, I EQ the mids down just a tad (the electrostat mid centric thing gets hard on me) ... but man .. they are just so smooth. And at the right listening level (IE>not too loud) the sound stage/image is very speaker like. And they are just so light weight. I'm totally stoked on them and haven't reached for the 307's in quite a while.

The 307's win in regards to basic detail retrieval, though ... they are certainly the more analytic headphone. But the Koss cans are just so sexy with any music that comes up and they are by no means slouch when it comes to details  ... just a tad rolled off in the highs compared to the Stax cans.  Also, upon careful listen, the bass is quite a bit better than the 307's... Love em...

I have a Stax adapter, Shelly if you want to borrow the Koss cans when we next meet (I need to borrow one/two of your dynamic cans when my Gilmore Lite gets here, trying to figure out what single dynamic can I want to invest money in) ... :-) ... (long as there's no critters around, that is...)

Until they start squealing and you have to send them in for repair.  Lather, rinse, repeat, as Frank noted.  It really is s shame as when they're working they're the best bargain in stat headphones, IMO.  I still flirt with picking up a pair when a used set comes up in the "reasonable" price range but always back away when memories of the issues return and I remember the rumors that Koss will now only provide warranty service for the original owner.

Until they start squealing and you have to send them in for repair.  Lather, rinse, repeat, as Frank noted.  It really is s shame as when they're working they're the best bargain in stat headphones, IMO.  I still flirt with picking up a pair when a used set comes up in the "reasonable" price range but always back away when memories of the issues return and I remember the rumors that Koss will now only provide warranty service for the original owner.

I bought mine used off of amazon. 

The amp was whack ... really bad distortion in the right channel (not a "squeal" issue)

I sent it back and they replaced about everything (according to their invoice).

Now?

The Headphones almost always work perfectly ... 

On very rare occasions .. be it a thing related to humidity changes (I live in TX and that is a constant influence) or otherwise ... occasionally, I will get a very low volume "squeal" in the right channel. It's not loud enough to hear when some loud music is playing ... but when things are silent, I can hear it and it bugs the shit out of me.

LOL ... but it's seldom enough of a thing to be acceptable. 

Such a good headphone. Very natural and true ... and super good imaging (like speakers on your ears) ... but that's just my experience.

Edited by s1rrah

The 950s with the blue Hawaii was my favorite combination ever.

I'm a noob to the stat thing ... sort of just feeling my way about ... but I really like the 323S amp that I've got ...

That said? I'm lusting over the chance to hear my STAT cans with the Blue Hawaii amp ...

Perhaps it is a time the mafia fixes the squeal issues once and for all? 

That said Koss should really update the design, it's been exactly the same since at least 1989...

Seriously man ... I hope so. Cause the 950's are perhaps the best "all around" and still "audiophile" headphones I've heard. ]

The whole "squeal" issue is so mysterious.

Really, I can't replicate it.

Fuck!

In the past 20 hours or so of listening, I haven't heard it a bit. I'm listening with Koss 950 headphones and a Stax 323S BTW.

Oddly, since the 323S amp has dual PRO biased headphone connections? I find that the Koss 950's work better when being the only  headphone plugged in to the amp. No "squeal" issues. If I connect my SR-307's in the other socket? Then the Koss cans tend to give me problems. Now how in the feck does one explain that? LMFAO.

But I've found a middle ground with them, so to speak ... and I think they are really good headphones.

I agree ... Koss could "part the waters" if they set there minds to perfecting the ESP-950 ... 

Hope they do...

Edited by s1rrah

With the esp950 was the 323s a good step up over the 252s?  

I only noticed a real sonic difference when pushing to insane volume levels ... otherwise, I'd be guessing if I said I noticed much more difference. I mainly got the 323S as an upgrade over the 252S on the chance I should move towards electrostat cans that were more difficult to drive ... as I'd read the 323S has more headroom in that regard. 

Maybe a tad more weight to the bass with the 323S as well .. 

Edited by s1rrah

In the year and a half that I owned the 950's I never heard them squeal once, with the stock amp or my SRM-1 Mk2 Pro and Woo GES.

My ESP-950 were re-cabled by APS with an SR-007 cable and had the dampening removed, so I don't know if that changed the issue.  But they sounded smoother than my SR-Lambda Signature (slightly too bright) and sounded more balanced than my SR-Lambda Pro (too much midrange suck-out).  

The 950's sound kinda reminded me of an older Grado RS-1 with flat pads, especially in their flat soundstage - they were energetic and slightly aggressive sounding, but without grain or an edge to them.  In comparison, the SR-Lambda Pro and Signature could become slightly fatiguing over longer listening sessions.  I still preferred the SR-Lambda normal bias, so i didn't keep the others.  

I'm pretty sure that I'd like my current pair of SR-Lambda Nova Signature more than the ESP-950, but I sold the 950's before I got the LNS and haven't compared them.  

In the year and a half that I owned the 950's I never heard them squeal once, with the stock amp or my SRM-1 Mk2 Pro and Woo GES.

My ESP-950 were re-cabled by APS with an SR-007 cable and had the dampening removed, so I don't know if that changed the issue.  But they sounded smoother than my SR-Lambda Signature (slightly too bright) and sounded more balanced than my SR-Lambda Pro (too much midrange suck-out).  

The 950's sound kinda reminded me of an older Grado RS-1 with flat pads, especially in their flat soundstage - they were energetic and slightly aggressive sounding, but without grain or an edge to them.  In comparison, the SR-Lambda Pro and Signature could become slightly fatiguing over longer listening sessions.  I still preferred the SR-Lambda normal bias, so i didn't keep the others.  

I'm pretty sure that I'd like my current pair of SR-Lambda Nova Signature more than the ESP-950, but I sold the 950's before I got the LNS and haven't compared them.  

It's extremely rare with mine. Not even enough that I would consider sending it back to Koss. ... just pops up all of a sudden and then disappears .. and even then, it's very very low volume and only noticeable on silence.

I too am reminded of the RS1's a bit (had those for a few years) ... only without the nit picky/occasionally painful highs.

I switch over to my Lambda 307's and after about half an hour I always end up putting the Koss' back on ...

They might be a little plasticY ... but man are they light/comfortable. One can truly forget that one is even wearing cans some times ... I use them a lot when I'm doing visual design stuff for hours straight on the computer and I totally forget there's even headphones on my head.

Personally I don't think the current Lambda range sound as good as previous generations, but I have only had chance to listen for any length in the dealers showroom. They may sound better at home on my own set-up

I switch over to my Lambda 307's and after about half an hour I always end up putting the Koss' back on ...

Personally I don't think the current Lambda range sound as good as previous generations, but I have only had chance to listen for any length in the dealers showroom. They may sound better at home on my own set-up

Ditto.

I really enjoyed the 303's when I had them; in fact, the guy I sold them too about six years ago recently contacted me to see if I wanted borrow them back for a bit. So we're going to do that here in the next week ... will spend a good deal of time comparing to the 307's ...

• 3 weeks later...

Ditto.

I really enjoyed the 303's when I had them; in fact, the guy I sold them too about six years ago recently contacted me to see if I wanted borrow them back for a bit. So we're going to do that here in the next week ... will spend a good deal of time comparing to the 307's ...

Yes, I am really digging my 950 driven by a  SRM T1,  I initially had some squeel issues when using the stock Koss amp, but it's been over a year now that I have been using the T1 and have not had any more squeeling since then. I would like to try some other amps that would allow for  higher bias voltages, some have reported that really improved the performace of the 950 ?  

Thanks

Didn't know extension cables were available for these as the 950's are quite difficult to find in Europe. I should be able to order one direct from Koss.

Next problem will be finding a Stax male plug. ::)

Just put a stax plug on the extension cable