Help Matching headphones Spec

uguay

Hi,

I'm looking for advice on headphones. I use them to listen to mp3's and tube on the laptop and the TV at night and gaming. I have a habit of getting the cables caught up, loosening the wires or bending the jack, meaning I have to replace them from time to time. Because of this I tend to get fairly basic relatively inexpensive sets.

I usually buy Panasonic RP-HTF350E-N Monitor Headphones (originally made by Technics) which were really great sound quality for the money but it appears this product is now discontinued and impossible to procure. I used to be able to get them from Amazon for about £15 which was great. I guess I just struck lucky with the sound quality when I originally picked those up, not knowing about anything technical. Anyway, I searched around for a comparable product and eventually opted for the Panasonic RP-HT225 model, which having a similar product code and being of similar price, (albeit slightly less) I'd hoped the headphones would perform similarly. Unfortunately as it turned out this simply wasn't the case, the sound quality is diabolical compared to the 350's.

When I search I get bamboozled by the choice and everyone seems to have a different idea about what's good, but I'm at the stage where ideally I don't want to just speculate more money on a set hoping they come through and sound as good as the HTF350's. When I look at model specs they don't mean a lot to me. I've mailed Panasonic sales a couple of times to see if they can tell me which in their range is the closest to the 350's spec, or if there is a replacement model per se, but I don't hear back.

To cut to the chase I could really use some help/advice from someone versed in headphone specs and able to match. Primarily I'm hoping someone could recommend any headphones that have a similar spec to the RP-350's (which I'll post below) and would be sincerely grateful for any info. I don't mind paying up to about £50 if needs be. Alternatively any general recommendations for decent sounding headphones up to £50 would also be handy.

Spec for Panasonic RP-HTF350E-N Monitor Headphones;

(Panasonic) Single-Side Monitoring Stereo Headphones (RP-HTF350) Ideal for DJ use, sound monitoring headphones with reversible earcup for easy single sided monitoring, incorporates in-line volume control with an Extra Bass System. Features: - . - XBS (extra bass system) port boosts low frequencies. - Neodymium rare earth magnet for rich and powerful sound with CCAW voice coil. - Single-side monitoring. - Gold plated plug. - 6.3mm plug adaptor. - Driver Units: 40mm. - Impedance: 404ohm. - Sensitivity: 102dB/mw. - Power Handling Capacity: 1000mW. - Frequency Response:10Hz - 27kHz. - Cord: 3m (9.8ft) - Plug: 3.5mm.

Thanks

nikongod - (looks at some shit and points) You know what that is?

OP - (looks) Thats shit. 

Nikongod - (pulls can of shinola shoe polish from rear pants pocket and holds it up between our eyes) You know what this is?

OP - (Looks and thinks for about 7 seconds) thats Shinola! 

nikongod - (Puts the can of Shinola shoe polish back in pocket, and smiles) You'l do allright. 

... Primarily I'm hoping someone could recommend any headphones that have a similar spec to the RP-350's (which I'll post below) and would be sincerely grateful for any info. I don't mind paying up to about £50 if needs be.

If need be, how does one get paid for providing you with the requested info?

Well if you are serious about sound don't compare the specification as it wont tell how two HP's with same spec will sound. Most likely they will sound different. You were god given some of the best instruments for evaluating sound so suggest so use em!

My suggestion for someone wanting to move up the audio pecking order would be sennheiser, sennheiser or sennheiser. Probably the broadest range available from any manufacturer

To cut to the chase I could really use some help/advice from someone versed in headphone specs and able to match. Primarily I'm hoping someone could recommend any headphones that have a similar spec to the RP-350's (which I'll post below) and would be sincerely grateful for any info. I don't mind paying up to about £50 if needs be. Alternatively any general recommendations for decent sounding headphones up to £50 would also be handy.

Edited by complin

If need be, how does one get paid for providing you with the requested info?

How bout, you give me the info and I'll send the cheque in the mail ...

I have been very happy with the Stax 009.

The cable seems to be able to withstand a great deal of abuse.

Albeit they may not be as nice sounding as the Panasonics.

Yeah the cables quite important, it gets caught under the wheels of my chair and I can't stop yanking that thing. (the cable I mean). I tried replug but it broke. Those 009's are nice, bit pricey though, hehe. And they seem nigh on impossible to get hold of in the UK anyway. Maybe one for father Christmas.

JH13?

That might work!

Well if you are serious about sound don't compare the specification as it wont tell how two HP's with same spec will sound. Most likely they will sound different. You were god given some of the best instruments for evaluating sound so suggest so use em!

My suggestion for someone wanting to move up the audio pecking order would be sennheiser, sennheiser or sennheiser. Probably the broadest range available from any manufacturer

What ? Get off my a$$, I'm really hoping it won't come to that! I prefer to order on-line to get the best deals. Intersting about the same specs sounding diffrent though, I wouldn't have expected that.

Sennheiser will probably be the way forward, the brand was recommended to me by a friend a while back and also a dude on another forum just recommended Sennheiser HD429's which I like the look of and they have an emphasis toward bass performance as did the Panasonics I liked but can no longer get hold of. At £55 the price is ok. I've decided I'll probably plump for single side cable as well which they are. He also mentioned Fostex TH-7BB which seem to be an 'all-rounder' which would probably suit me. I appreciate the advice.

I'd recommend the JPS Abyss or Sennheiser Orpheus.

The Sony MDR R10 or Qualia O10 if you really want to compromise.....

The choice is yours.

More for father Christmas I guess.

It it that time again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L34S4Tt1EuQ

Lol, ok you at least get the prize for the funniest brush off.

• Like 1