Next Gen portable audio

Dusty Chalk

Intended for 24/96 and higher and DSD portable audio devices, ones that can take our high-res tracks on-the-go.  And yes, that includes phones -- if you're aware of one that's 24/96 &c. -capable, I'm (ahem) all ears.

I just saw this video at NAMM:

...and I'm hopeful, because I've liked Sony's SACD players even on their lower-end offerings, presumably because of their DSD DACs.  Haven't heard the Korg portable devices, so won't be able to compare, unfortunately.

I'm hoping we'll see more portable multitrack recorders, given the popularity of the Zoom H6.  The Sony looks potentially nice, but I suspect it only does one stereo track at a time - either line-in or with the built-in mics - which is great unless you're a drummer who likes recording with a separate mic on the kick in addition to an overhead pair.

Subscribed.

I'm hoping we'll see more portable multitrack recorders, given the popularity of the Zoom H6.  The Sony looks potentially nice, but I suspect it only does one stereo track at a time - either line-in or with the built-in mics - which is great unless you're a drummer who likes recording with a separate mic on the kick in addition to an overhead pair.

Subscribed.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/673541-REG/Tascam_DR_680_DR_680_8_Track_Portable_Field.html

Useful to you?

Dusty are you looking for something that also records or just a portable player that does high res.

Well I personally wouldn't mind something that records, and all you digitizers probably wouldn't mind hearing discussion about it either, even if you are already all set in that arena.  But the intention was to appeal to the wider audience, so playback was the more important function. 

Thanks also for the one-liner about the Korg.

I like my PCM-D50 for playback of .wav files (Redbook and the occasional PCM 24/96) from a sound quality standpoint. I don't mind the basic, single-level album folder style navigation. Although it's quite overkill for my use-case, which is work environment listening & never recording. Nicely built, solid piece of kit though. I also have not compared it to other recorders or hi-res audiophile DAPs. So this post is pretty much worthless to you.