Equipment racks and what have you

postjack

So I'm in need of a component rack of some kind. As it stands I have my turntable on a random wood end table, and the rest of my gear splayed across my computer desk. The desk is way too cluttered, and whenever I do decide on a dac there won't be any room for it. So I need to once again buy some sort of equipment rack.

The current most obvious choice is a Salamander Archetype:

http://www.amazon.com/Salamander-A5-Archetype-5-0-Black/dp/B0006VPUMQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391319380&sr=8-1&keywords=salamander+archetype

413%2BXGTEEyL.jpg

I'd opt for the upgraded cherry model because it looks nicer.

However, I dread putting the damn thing together and leveling all the shelves. And $400 still seems like a lot for five pieces of hard wood and some metal rods.

This solid steel rack also looks nice:

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-7538-solidsteel-35-stand-black.aspx

ASOLID35B.jpg

On sale for $450 at musicdirect.

I'm curious what other people use to stack their stuff on. I feel like I've done a ton of research but want to make sure I haven't missed anything. I'm willing to spend some cash for this, but nothing super ridiculous.

Not looking for any audiophile hoodoo, zima, hula hoops, or pacman video games. Just a rack solid enough to put a turntable on top without negatively impacting the sound.

well instead of going the more expensive route i went with the "this should be fine" route:

61l3WEAKzuL._SL1000_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Walker-Edison-Multi-Level-Component-Stand/dp/B00166BWZ4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1391482129&sr=8-3&keywords=walker+edison

I think it looks great and by all accounts it is heavy, stable, and easy to put together. 

I actually got pretty proficient at assembly/disassembly with the 3-shelf unit that I used to take back and forth to meets.  It wasn't fun but it did work.  Lager units with more shelves become a huge pain the ass.  I also wonder about the overall stability of taller models.  But for the $$ they are really hard to beat. 

Pain to assemble which is why I went with IKEA...  :)

thats exactly what i'd do if i had an IKEA nearby.

i actually cancelled the order for the above rack about 20 minutes after I placed it. decided to keep looking.

There is a seller on a'gon who sells VTI racks, they look nice and are reasonably priced. Will look into that a little more.

Putting together/taking apart Flexy is a huge pain in the ass, and I think mine had 4 or 5 shelves.  The last time I took it apart, I never put it back together and just went the IKEA route (and now I've no real audio toys).  I still have all the rods, nuts, and washers on a shelf in my basement.

Oh and leveling 3 legged ones are a lot easier than leveling 4 legged ones.

Edited by Salt Peanuts

• 4 weeks later...

I did a 4 post flexi with 5/8" rod and 2'x2' shelves. I'ts about 4-1/2' high. I beveled the rods using a grinder to make points.

I measured up and started with a double nut. To space between shelves(and make all 4 corners even) I cut off 4 pieces of pvc tubing.

The pvc was painted, and I loosely wrapped electrical tape around the threads to make it tight and prevent rattles.

Fender washer, rubber pad I cut up to match washer, shelf, another rubber pad, nut, pvc pipe, nut, washer, rubber pad, shelf.

I used a nylon insert nut for the top. the rod was cut off even with the nut top. All the nuts/washers were painted black before assembly.

I cut a hole in all for corners of all shelves at the same time to make them even, and stained them before assembly.

The whole thing is sturdy enough to be moved without taking it apart. A bit heavy but it works.

The PVC also serves to prevent scraping knuckles or gear against the threads.post-1345-0-61823800-1393737320_thumb.jp

Edited by ktm

Update: ending up buying the Sanus AFA Rack for $148:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004U8A0/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMG_20140208_100524.jpg

IMG_20140208_100547.jpg

Super easy to put together, really heavy and solid build. There is a screw at the bottom that lets you level it, nothing too fancy, but functional and easy. Had it leveled in just a few minutes. There is a "cable management system", but really its just some holes in the back of the shelves that aren't quite wide enough to fit wide ass audio cables through anyway. Behind the rack is a terrifying mess of power, RCA, and digital cables.

Does not rock or sway at all. The tubes are hollow, but are substantial.

I'm really pleased, hell of a bargain IMO.

Currently the little Furutech DAC/phono is gone, and replaced with the naamanf buffalo DAC. Its a tight squeeze next to the Brio-R but it works. Whenever I get a new headphone amp it will hopefully be less lengthy then the Beta22, and I'll just keep it on my desk. Its inconvenient having the Beta down on the bottom shelf, makes adjusting volume a pain.

Edited by postjack