SR-404LE - really "all that," over the SR-307 or ESP950's? $700 worth of it?

s1rrah

There's a pair of really nice looking SR-404LE's for sale at another site.

$700.00 ... 

I got the itch to pull the trigger just because; fatter cable, swanker looks, leather pads ... and supposedly pretty great on the Lambda scale (I've read the main threads here at Hcase re: such)...

But already having the 307's (my secondary cans) and some Koss ESP950's (my main, most loved cans) ... just not sure if I'd regret a $700 purchase for a minimal improvement over either of my current cans (especially the ESP950's which I consider quite dramatically better than my 307's...

Really pretty, though, that's for sure.

Also not sure if $700 used is fair or not ... 

Some things a man just needs to decide for himself, like what car to buy, what house to buy, what girl to marry, and where to ask for such advice about which headphones to buy.  

This seems more like a Head-Fi question.  That's the kind of place where you can get at least 100 people to give you bad advice.  Of course, none of them will have heard all of the headphones in question, let alone have any real appreciation for your system (source, amp), sonic preferences, or the realities of your budget constraints.  

This is the kind of place where we're more interested in scotch, watches, bikes, photography, and all sorts of other things unrelated to headphones, because we've all learned that you either need to hear them with your own two ears within your own system, and then decide for yourself whether they're a good match with your sonic preferences and fit within your budget or just forget about them and invest in a high quality blow up doll instead, which is likely to give you more satisfaction than the mental masturbation you will otherwise be doing about them until you hear them for yourself.

If $700 is a good price, and you won't desperately need that money soon, and these headphones are something you're interested in trying, then why not buy them to try them?  If you don't like them, chances are you can sell them quickly (for $700 or something quite near to that amount).  Nothing (or not much) lost.  If you do like them, then you can sell the other ones that you don't like as much and repay yourself that way and maybe have enough left over for a decent quality (but not top of the line) blow up doll.  We can probably give you some decent advice in terms of your options in that regard, actually.

Edited by Wmcmanus
  • Like 6

I've seen used 440LE's go for around avg $500-650 shipped. Rather than spend money here and there for small gains and unless you're a collector, sell everything you have and invest in an O2 or 009 driven from the 323S for the meantime till you get funds for a KGSSHV or BHSE. \

My non worth while 2c.

Edited by DefQon

given the OP's nonsensical treatment of good advice in the past

That was the old me!!! 

I did my time in solitary, okay?  One whole feckin week (cut down from the initially promised two, for good behavior, I guess?) ... it was deserved and it is now behind me. Man, what the fuck does a convict have to do to make way in the free world these days? Jeezus.

And I'm proud to say that I'm now, mostly, this thread not withstanding, rehabilitated.

Mostly, anyway ... (I did get kicked out of High School ... also a Peter Murphy concert once ... Chase Bank too, where I was a software designer ... then, hmmmm ... oh yeah, overclock.net threatened to kick me out for using the word "ass" too many times ... and ...)

;-)

(sorry, I would have posted my initial inquiry to other more whorish sites but you fuckers are way, WAY more fun)_ ( and way smarter, too) ,... 

Bear with me (and the Scotch ... ) ...

;-)

I think, like anyone, you'll be Ok so long as you don't get your panties all caught up in a bunch when we're somewhat less than kind at times.  

It's not really meant in a bad way, probably more of a hazing ritual that anything else (or just something to entertain ourselves).  But there is also a certain gatekeeper function that is important to maintain such that this place doesn't become just as overrun and completely fucked up as the other place with all sorts of posing and inane chit chat from people who really don't have a clue.  

We prefer, instead, to provide our own brand of inane chit chat and headphones don't always have a lot to do with it.  That was merely the common ground that allowed many of us to get to know each other initially.  It's more of a social thing here, like the neighborhood bar that Dan describes in his "welcome, but please shut the fuck up for a while" thread.  

There's no magic recipe to it, people just blend in over time as they get a sense of the ebb and flow.  Pretty simple.  Don't be a douche and you're cool.  Some of these smart fuckers might even give you a hug one day, if you're into that kind of thing.

Edited by Wmcmanus