Cool Kickstarter/Indiegogo Campaigns

blessingx

I'm over Kickstarter and other crowd source funding, wannabe "investing".  At best it's full of morons that have no clue how to manufacture anything, have endless delays, and falling short.  At worst it's full of complete bullshit like the $50,000+ Potato Salad joke.  Yeah, it's kind of funny, until you realize people paid over $50,000 for basically nothing.  OK, maybe some shitty T-Shirts, but really in the end, it's the Potato Salad guy that's doing all the laughing, all the way to the bank.

Edited by Edwood
  • Like 2

Yeah, I'm not sure we should be judging the concept by the likes of Potato Salad Man. That's just someone along for the ride. I agree though the manufacture mistakes/delays can be really irritating and if it's something you have experience in, probably even more so. Then again many of us have had worse delays in our little hobby. I have a wallet and the nicest belt I've ever worn on me right now, will probably listen to some Classical binaural DSD tracks later, and Quickey multi-tools will arrive this week - all from these sites. GF is excited about the sous vide cooker coming. We'll see how the Light Harmonic thing goes, but if it goes south my anger won't be towards Kickstarter/Indigogo.

You just have to do a decent amount of research on whether a project is achievable/realistic before you help fund it.  A friend of mine is thus far 5 for 5 on Kickstarter/Indiegogo projects he's backed, but he's worked and headed numerous projects for companies that manufacture specialized items so he probably can guess which one has a decent chance of being successful.

I'm 5 for 5 as well, and I've done absolutely no work.  I've grabbed only thins I wanted, and I'm happy with all of them.  i grabbed the coolest, too.  I think we'll see some interesting delays when he tries to ship 20,000 units (and counting), but I expect that.  

That product goes against the very fiber of my being, Dinny.  It's 1 time use!  You need to buy another one every time you fill balloons, and you can't fill fewer than one hundred at a time.  

Their competitors are cooler, in my view, but just being a man and knowing how to tie water balloons quickly is the coolest. 

• 2 weeks later...