Recommendations for a Food Sealer

tyrion

I have found that if you do not use a chamber sealer the food comes out tasting like wet cardboard.  I recommend you go for the chamber sealer.

Not a fan of wet cardboard.  If this thing requires a chamber sealer than I am eating wet cardboard or the Anova is going back.

I've never eaten wet cardboard, recommended?  

the key is controlling the amount of saturation. wet cardboard? no way. damp cardboard on the other hand is a different story, that's the ticket right there.

the whole cardboard + liquid experience is about texture. if the stuff is dripping wet you might as well be eating wet toilet paper. but if its just damp enough to get the juices in your mouth going, then you can chew on it for a good long while and really savor the flavor.

• 1 year later...

I strongly recommend Foodsaver FSFSSL4440-000 Appliance Vacuum Sealer. I purchased this to replace my old Foodsaver that I had for close to 12 years. This one is larger and does considerably more. The removable tray makes it much easier to keep clean and the switch that allows me to change the seal for either dry or wet food is extremely nice to have. It automatically senses the bag in the slot to be sealed and makes a nice wide seal on the bag (approx. 3/16th of an inch). I no longer have to hold the lid down on the bag and wait for the completion of the suction and seal. I used to place a double seal on the bag to ensure there wouldn't be leakage of air into the bag especially with moist foods like meat. There is great suction and seal on the bags. I have not tried the zipper bag or marinating functions yet. I would use the zipper bags to preserve block cheese in the frig but being the holidays, cheese is not sitting as long in the frig right now. Since it is more vertical it takes up less counter top from the wall which is nice. It truly does save me money because I'm able to buy things on sale and freeze them for longer periods. I have gardened for years love to seal and freeze my veggies and I am now able to use the jar sealers too. This is a win-win product for me. I hope it lasts as long as my last one!

• 2 years later...

Sorry for resurrecting this almost dead thread, but I thought it'd be better than starting a new one on the same subject. We've been using the Anova with Ziplock bags with good results, no trouble with liquids, most of our sous vide cooking is with dry fresh food.

We're considering cutting a whole jamón with the knife, as it should be, but instead of go cutting as long as we're consuming it, we'd cut it all at once and pack the slices in proper vacuumed bags. It should be more convenient, it's a big 7Kg jamón and we'd need a few months to consume it, so by the end it'd be too dry and chewy. We had one professionally cut and vacuum packed once, but they didn't cut it by hand with the knife, nor the vacuum of the bags was first rate. Disappointment at 25€ for an excellent quality pata negra. So, what'd be your recommendation for an affordable, no need of chamber, yet good vacuum quality sealer? We're not spending more in the vacuum sealer than on the jamón :P