Advice on reterminating HD650 cable

shellylh

I wanted to re-terminate an HD650 cable to 4pin XLR.  What is the best way to strip off the black sleeve without cutting one of the tiny wires?  I was trying to carefully clip it with small wire cutters but I keep snipping one of the little wires.  I also tried a wire stripper and that was worse.  Will it make much difference if one of the wires is not connected (as long as the majority are)?  

Also, I see that the HD650 cable doesn't have shielding so I assume one doesn't anything to the 5th metal connector. 

Edited by shellylh

Just be careful to pull straight out with the wire strippers. I believe 22-24awg should work fine. Snipping a few strands shouldn't matter.

You will need a lighter to melt the enamel from the wire so it's suitable for soldering.

The green wire is typically the ground or negative channel in this case.

Pinout below:

1 - left channel +

2 - left channel -

3 - right channel +

4 - right channel -

Oops, when I said pin 1, I was thinking of 3-pin XLR.   I guess the shield usually gets connected to the other metal part on the outside of the connector (whatever that is called).  

Also, I haven't checked with the mm yet but assumed the "gold" wire went to ground (there is a gold and red on one side and a green and red on the other side). Thanks for the advise on melting the enamel, that was probably going to be my next question.  :)

Edited by shellylh

Oops, when I said pin 1, I was thinking of 3-pin XLR.   I guess the shield usually gets connected to the other metal part on the outside of the connector (whatever that is called).  

Also, I haven't checked with the mm yet but assumed the "gold" wire went to ground (there is a gold and red on one side and a green and red on the other side). Thanks for the advise on melting the enamel, that was probably going to be my next question.   :)

The outside of an XLR plug is called the shell. 

I'm terrible with wire colors. 

This thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/477461/hd-650-stock-cable-to-4-pin-xlr-howto

bases it off of the thicker and thinner pins on the headphone connector. MUCH more reliable than wire colors. 

I used an adjustable wire stripper set to right aroung 22 awg.  Like it was said in here, pull straight out.  One channel is enameled red and I think the other is green.  The ground or - pin in this case was copper colored.

For tinning I used a solder pot.  I can't comment on laquer thinner but I can tell you the solder pot made quick work of it.

If you're having trouble I will do it for you free of charge.  Just send me the cable and plug with return postage.

Gentle touch I guess?  Never had much challenge with one of these and eyeballing the size.  You can also just clamp down with the correct gauge which will bite into the sleeve a little bit and pinch tightly with fingernails to rip it off.

High-Quality-5pcs-Lot-RDEER-RT-2021-Wire

Getting the enamel off is trickier - I've done it at least a few times now but I melt a thick glob of solder on the tip of the iron and pass the cable through it until you see the enamel melt off.  You can then flick the "dirty" glob off the iron and proceed to tin with fresh solder.  Also don't forget to trim the kevlar reinforcement hiding in the copper strands!

Edited by Mr.Sneis