$1000 phono rig.

A friend of mine who is a music producer and is not nor ever will be a DJ wants to build a phono rig for digitizing vinyl.  His budget is $1000.  He needs a phono pre with a line out (he's got the ACD covered), a turntable and needle.  He's asked me, but my phono knowledge is too DJ-centric.  Any HCers have some suggestions for those three components that fit within his budget constraints?  Are there any turntables with built in pres in that range that are not utter crap?

Also, he'd like to be able to play back 16 and 78RPM records but that requirement is is secondary to the above needs.

Rega, Project, and Music Hall were the go-to for "entry level" (by audiophile standards) turntables (Rega being #1 in my book).  I don't know if any others have entered the fray since I last looked.

Also several years ago (again, since I last looked, things may have changed), the de facto "entry level" phono stage was Bellari.

Haven't heard the Emo, but Rega RP1, Parasound Zphono (or USB - still available at Audio Advisor) and a Denon MC cart would keep things under $1K.

I love my Nottingham, but have always wondered if I stuck with lower Rega it would be just as satisfying .

Haven't heard the Emo, but Rega RP1, Parasound Zphono (or USB - still available at Audio Advisor) and a Denon MC cart would keep things under $1K.

I love my Nottingham, but have always wondered if I stuck with lower Rega it would be just as satisfying .

What Nottingham do you have again? Love those tables.

I just ordered a Music Hall MMF 2.2 with an Ortofon 2M Blue. It requires a different counterweight to support the Ortofon, and I added a Music Hall cork mat. $684 out the door from NeedleDoctor. I did a fair amount of research before going this route. My Emotiva USP-1 preamp has the phono stage. I should have it this week and then can post impressions. My previous TT was a Dual with the Ortofon 2M Red.

Technics 1200mk2 or 3. 

The price went up a bit (lot) since Technics stopped making them, but they are still quite reasonable. 

After that, they are insanely reliable and well documented. There is a 78rpm upgrade available (well, there was when they were more readily available - I have not looked in a while) and they come with a very nice arm as long as you don't drop the TT upside-down on it DJ style. 

So, yea, 1200. 

I would avoid knock offs because they suck. 

After that, cheap cartridges are pick your poison. 

I am partial to the DL103 as the next step up. Very linear and generally well documented. 

For the phono stage, I don't know of anything off the shelf that would work with the budget, but if your friend is DIY handy (like at all) the Hagerman bugle is well regarded for very little money. Look into the "bugle pro" for ideas on how to make the bugle work for 78's

http://www.hagtech.com/bugpro.html

Or just do the de-emphasis digitally. 

16RPM is really hard. How many 16RPM discs does he have? Would they be interesting enough to someone else (with a dedicated 16rpm rig) to get them to rip them? 

I ran the 1200 + DL103 for a while, killer combination. Only issue is getting a phono with enough gain. I believe the bugle can be run with sufficient gain for the dl103? In fact I think I ran my dl103 with a bugle but I can't remember. I can't remember all my gear. I should make a list.

Thanks for the replies.  I passed on the pertinent information to Brent (not the Mexican with the large head, another one).  I told him that the best option for 16RPM media is a separate rig entirely, or finding someone else to do it.  It's a shame 1200s are so expensive now.  I remember when they were $400 for a clean, used pair when everyone was moving to CDJs.  I have 3 myself (none for sale,KTHX), but the hoarder in me kind of wishes I'd grabbed a couple more....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is now the right time to voice my strong opinion against the vast majority of tube phono stages? 

The effect of various tube parameters (Rp) on the RIAA accuracy totally trumps any advantage. 

A few stoopid-expensive phono stages take it into account and have neat solutions, but most do not :( 

• Like 1