Little Miss Sunshine

postjack

Great movie. I can't think of any reason why anyone shouldn't see this flick. It took me a little while to see it, because when it was first recommended to me it was called a "dark comedy". And while in general I like "dark comedy", sometimes I find the term "dark comedy" actually means "boring" and "not funny" (think Death To Smoochy).

Lots of fantastic acting, from the oldest actor (heroin using grandpa played by the always kick ass Alan Arkin) to the youngest actor (little girl, character named Olive), the characters are all real and engaging. Also starring Greg Kinnear and Steve Carrell, who continues to impress me with his incredible talent range. He'll snatch a Best Actor Oscar before its over with (people laughed at me when I said Phillip Seymour Hoffman would get the best actor one day, so eat my shit, people who didn't see Love, Liza and Owning Mahoney. The man's got talent).

Also, the storytelling device is a journey, and I am always a fan of travel motifs. Gives plenty of opportunity for situational comedy (which LMS has in spades) as well as character development.

So check it out if you haven't, and if you have, tell me if I'm wrong or right.

My favorite movie of 2006. And not because it was 'indie' or anything...it was just the most enjoyable to me.

Oh yes I'm a dark comedy fan, sort of a Wes Anderson fanboy.

The Royal Tenebaums, to me, is the quintessential dark comedy movie. I'm also a fan of Life Aquatic, Rushmore, and Bottle Rocket, but in my opinion none of them were as perfect as the Tenebaums. Probably a Gene Hackman thing. :)

I Heart Huckabees is another good dark one.

Maybe you just have no soul!

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body." C.S. Lewis

Peace be with you. Fear not. :angel:

I thought it was a great movie, but I can definitely see going into it with overly high expectations -- that's probably what ruined Sideways for me.

I really liked Sideways.

Maybe you just have no soul!

I understand how he didn't like it. I saw it on opening night knowing absolutely nothing about the movie. My friend and I saw that Steve Carrell was in it and expected something like Anchorman meets Roadtrip...so our expectations weren't exactly high :P

I gave the DVD to my parents and my mom liked it and my dad called it silly.

I know a few critics are already calling it the Rushmore of the 21st Century....

It was a good movie. Not the best of the year for me, but this years was a bit less spectacular than others. I do think that Pan's Labyrinth was pretty damn good though. I will also agree with postjack regarding Phillip Seymour Hoffman. He is quite good and Owning Mahoney is probably my favorite movie from him.

Right now we're waiting to see The Last King of Scotland....need to be in a certain mood for that...kinda like Hotel Rwanda. You don't just sit down and watch it, you need to prepare.