Stanley Cup Playoffs - 2014

Aura

I feel the Shark's fans pain.  Happened to us (Bruins fans) in 2010 vs Flyers.  At least Dinny's Rangers stepped up to take them out this year.

Dan, I think the NotRangers lost in round 1, but fortunately they will come back in Round 2, and maybe even in the Conference Final.  Actually, the thing about NotXxxx teams is that they go away when they win.  I know, I've been a NotYankees fan forever.  :)

Yah, but I look at it like once the pens and rangers have been eliminated, 2 of my favorite teams have won the stanley cup in the same year.  That's almost as good as the caps doing it.  And since the caps will never get it together enough to overcome their shoddy ownership, that's the best I can hope for...

Somewhat agree Dan, but the clear history speaks for itself.  And maybe it's easy for me to say now, but if Lucic did what Matt Cooke did - IE, at his level of recklessness and frequency - I'd want him out of the game as well.  Thornton did something stupid, his first time ever getting looked at for discipline, and got nailed for it.  I had no issue with his punishment, and would expect even more if he did something stupid like that again.

Chara and Lucic play a physical game, and Lucic does some stupid things when he gets worked up.  Chara has the Paccioretty (sp?) incident, but there's a hard time saying he intended to injure; it was an interference check that was in the wrong place on the ice with disastrous results.  I actually thought he should have received a review and suspension for that; but I believe that if you cause injury even due to what would be a two-minute penalty normally, it should be at least reviewed.  Randy Jones almost ended Patrice Bergeron's career years back, but I felt his was a stupid and isolated incident as well.  A little more reckless than Chara's hit, but lack of history plays a part.

None of these incidents compare to what players like Matt Cooke, Raffi Torres, and players of yore (Ulf Samuellson, for example) have done CONTINUOUSLY with kneeing, head shots, etc.  Seasons and careers have been ended multiple times.

All in all, I don't think that slope is all too slippery, but I do see the potential of it getting there in the court of public opinion.

Yah, I just see the solution is on ice retribution, rather than what's going on, which is random punishment from toronto.  Back when there were immediate repercussions for bad actions (and not necessarily on the player who committed the infraction), people thought before they acted.

That's still "old school" to me......

Had to look it up, but the 3rd man in rule and no players off the bench rule were created in the mid-to-late 70's!  That surprised me a bit, I thought 3rd man in was much later   The extra 2 for instigating was 1992.....

• Like 2

Yah, I just see the solution is on ice retribution, rather than what's going on, which is random punishment from toronto.  Back when there were immediate repercussions for bad actions (and not necessarily on the player who committed the infraction), people thought before they acted.

I think this is a very important and oft-missed point.  There was a time when there'd be a dirty hit on a guy and that meant that the ENTIRE other team would need to have their heads on a swivel.  Swift and arbitrary retribution.

51 shots on goal and only 3 in?  Seriously?  

Great game once it got to the 3rd period and OTs.  As soon as the Habs went on power play in last OT, I figured it was pretty much over, though.  Not worried yet - dropped first game to the Wings, too, and that worked out ok.

I normally don't think the local Sports Radio broadcasters are very good; more shock/entertainment for the midday show.  But I think they nailed it here: the Bruins play a great puck possession/cycle game, but are having issues finishing right now.  In the meantime, Montreal's speed and puck control ability, as well as their players' ability to get a good shot off, will give an advantage if the Bruins can't control it or finish the scoring chances they get themselves.  Last night's game was relatively clean, no real diving or cheap shots from either team.

I still think the Bruins can win this series, but it will be a heck of a lot more difficult then Detroit.

Edited by skullguise

I still think the Rangers are in a good spot having stolen that first game. Just need to show up at home now.

Fingers crossed for the Hawks! Smooth sailing so far. 

Favorite series right now is definitely Boston and Montreal. Both games have been awesome. Canadians are so resilient despite the Bruins outshooting them non-stop.

Rangers could still wear them down, but unfortunately the Rangers may be tired too; they are the only team that has had 2 back-to-backs in the playoffs.....wishing them luck, though.  There was some interference that wasn't called on the Pens' first goal, and some embellishment overall for some other penalties.  It's sad, as I'm seeing Boston do some of that too now.....not perhaps to some other teams' levels, but just wish the refs would call it more.  Tough to do in a fast game, though.