Record Store Day April 19, 2014

MexicanDragon

Yeah, it was not bad.  Employees were not douchey enough to be NYC record store employees but it will do.

I am happy with my haul.  They only got one copy of the REM album and some homeless guy got it but I liked everything else I got.

i-ZFjq9Zn-X2.jpg

Especially my official Chuck D Pin.

i-zX9v3Vw-XL.jpg

• Like 2

Aw, man, you got the Regina Spektor?  It was gone by the time I got there.  I got a bunch of things I wanted, but none of the top tier, and no Cake, sorry Brent.

Got:  Notwist, Oneohtrix Point Never, Broken Bells

Not got:  Garbage, Chvrches, Katatonia, Nick Cave, Clint Mansell...

Also got a bunch of non-RSD new and used vinyl (Pat Metheny, Chick Corea, Isleys, Buddy Rich, Wes Montgomery, and Kaleidoscopic Vibrations -- Electronic Pop Music from Way Out by Perrey & Kingsley)

Here's a list of online stores doing discounts for RSD. A lot of 20 or 25%, and some 50% off places.

http://modern-vinyl.com/2014/04/14/deal-thread-record-store-day-2014/

**BRENT**

Gah.  The only decent local retailer has a measly 10% off and does not appear on this list.  WTF.  Why is this a problem?  Because I received a gift certificate for them at Christmas.  Oh well, free (for me) is free. 

Absolutely amazing line at Radio Active. It was a block and a half long waiting to get INTO the store. it's always been a long wait to get out of the store.

JP and I scored a few records at Record Rack, but neither JP nor David nor I had the time to brave the line at RA. (I was ditching the morning session of a training thing to go to RSD)

An interesting note: the t shirt guy was basically out of X large shirts, but he had some black ones. The RSD design in white on black was not an option because his silk screen was loaded with black ink. So he did black on black for me. It turned out cooler than the other side of the pillow. It's a mirage-like image on a black shirt. None blacker. :-)

Edited by CarlSeibert
  • Like 2

Strict rules.
a4e6uduq.jpg
My haul
eny5y2e9.jpg

Top right was a freebie (Pete Francis - Movie We Are In) that I won from winning a trivia question (Milli Vanilli was the answer) in line. FWIW, they had live music, trivia, give aways, and someone even won an acoustic guitar! It wasn't me (Boooo), but they asked if the dude could play. He said "have a pic?" Then he proceeded to play a nice rendition of some song that I forgot the name of, but definitely was cool.

FLips I went back for out of habit, because I score some FLips every RSD I go to (this is my 3rd in 4 years, I think).
Scott Pilgrim vs The World: The Videogame - Original Videogame Soundtrack

The Dresden Dolls - The Dresden Dolls (for Grawk)

Nirvana - Pennyroyal Tea (with "I Hate Myself And I Want To Die" as the B-side)

Green Day - Demolicious (cassette)

Skrillex - Recess (cassette)

Jay-Z and Linkin Park - Collision Course (blue vinyl and DVD)

Over on the left are the freebies, but the GWAR square is a patch. I need to find something to attach it to.

**BRENT**

Edit 2: I can't believe I bought cassettes. It's probably been 2 decades or more since I've done that. The Green Day on vinyl was 21$ more, and the CD was 6$ more. Ridiculous.

I'm pretty bummed that the CAKE box set is going for over 350$ on ebay right now. :(

Edited by MexicanDragon
  • Like 1

Sweet: cassettes!  That's awesome.  I had a cassette on just last weekend.  LOL.  

I wandered out to the Seattle-based Silver Platters to see what I could come up with.  It was crazy.  Nobody was perusing their vast CD racks, but 20 of us were digging through the vinyl.  Small corner of the store, not really fun.  Left with a few titles in mind, but nothing in hand.  

On the way out to dinner I heard Steve Miller's Fly Like an Eagle and remembered I had that on vinyl.  Checked it when I got home and realized I had the 1999 RTI 180gm pressing which showed up at a collector site for $75.  

Third RSD in five years. First two attempts netted zero vinyl in combined 3 1/2 hours in line. This time strolled into a place not known for vinyl at 3PM and found a few titles. Added ILD to the mix. Back to not hating the event.

5ajehygy.jpg

Some pretty cool stuff there.  I'd be interested in your impression on the 3 in the top row, especially.