Earbuds or IEMs like/ better than Shure SE-215?

Lilly

I go through a pair of cheap Sony earbuds (DR-EX12IP) every 1-3 months. I didn't want to get something nicer for fear of them breaking after a month as well, but I'd like to give it a shot. I'm looking at Shure SE-215s.

My main priority is durability. I am probably not likely to put them in a case when not using them. I know it's bad. But I use headphones at least 5 hours throughout the day (sometimes more), so it's easier for me to just keep them coiled in my pocket.

The next priority is comfort. My ears are pretty small, so that could be an issue. And I don't know that Shure IEMs are really meant for the general public. Is there a more comfortable option out there? 

My budget is kind of variable; basically I want to spend the least amount on the most durable pair. If that means going up to $300 I could do that, but only if I was absolutely convinced they wouldn't break for a few years. I'm more inclined to stay in the $100-200 range. 

Sound quality is important too, but I figure since I've been using cheap headphones I will be wowed by anything over $100 so I'd rather lean on durability over sound quality.

If anyone wants to talk me out of the Shures please do! I don't really know what else is out there. 
Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

I go through a pair of cheap Sony earbuds (DR-EX12IP) every 1-3 months. I didn't want to get something nicer for fear of them breaking after a month as well, but I'd like to give it a shot. I'm looking at Shure SE-215s.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

I would suggest you stop treating your gear like shit. Show it some respect, and it will treat you well. 

1-3 months. WTF? Seriously? The headphones that came with the original gameboy will last years with any measure of care. You know, simple stuff - dont drag them in the dirt. Try not to let them get crushed in a car/subway door. Dont roll over the cable with your chair. Play those fuckers loud enough that you will need hearing aids when your 35, they will run for years! 

Kids these days.

Edited by nikongod
  • Like 1

The Shure SE-215 are my work phones, and I love them. Super comfy, great sound.

They are also super durable. In my line of work things can get pretty rough. I work at an all raw ground beef smoothie store (Postie's Beef Smoothies, check us out), and my SE-215s have gotten sucked into the Vitamix more then five dozen times, and they still work great. But then when I bring them home my dogs smell the ground beef and use the SE-215 as a chew toy! Still works great though. Everything I'm around smells like ground beef all the time.

• Like 1