Hot Doug's Closing Oct 2014

dsavitsk

I would think that if it was actually a highly profitable enterprise that he'd be able to find a buyer for the business.  My guess is that he's not making that much $$.  Given the short window of time that he's open the overhead might be killing him.  But I'm out of my league discussing stuff like this...

You might be right, but I'd imagine he's doing quite well.  It's just that he no other plans.  It's like he just wants to get away from it all, which sort of suggests that he's financially comfortable and now just wants to do a little more of "nothing" for a while.

I've been going to dougs a while now maybe 1x a month. Considering he could easily have maximized profit by having longer hours, not taking random vacations whenever he feels like it, or even franchised it (holy smokes that would make a killing), I believe money is not an issue nor is it a priority. He really just seems like a normal laid back dude who simply wants to do something else with his life.

• Like 1

Have you ever been there when the guy parks his ice cream truck next to the line, and plays the ice cream truck music non stop? Makes the mere long line seem like bliss.

What's amazing to me is that with the thousands of hot dog places in Chicago, so few competitors to Hot Doug's have emerged.

Selections were:

Marsala, Provolone and Roasted Garlic Smoked Wild Boar Sausage with Mostarda di Frutta, Double Crème Brie Cheese and Roasted Garlic Cloves

Veal Saltimbocca Sausage with Sage Mustard, Emmental Cheese and Fried Prosciutto

Smoked Yak Sausage with Bacon-Garlic Mayonnaise, Ardagh Wine Cheddar Cheese and Crispy Fried Onions

Smoked Texas Pork Hot Link with Ancho Pepper Mayonnaise, Garlic-Cheddar Cheese Spread and Smoked Onion Marmalade

Five-Spice Kangaroo Sausage with Hoisin Mayonnaise and Asian Slaw

Porcini and Parmesan Chicken Sausage with Pesto Aioli, Morel Mushroom Jack Cheese and Sautéed Mushrooms

Also split a Foie Gras in the car and taking home a second one.

Have you ever been there when the guy parks his ice cream truck next to the line, and plays the ice cream truck music non stop? Makes the mere long line seem like bliss.

What's amazing to me is that with the thousands of hot dog places in Chicago, so few competitors to Hot Doug's have emerged.

But eventually you do break down and buy some fricking ice cream!  What the heck else are you going to do when you have to wait for so long?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...