Kickstarter: Canadian maple headphones

Wmcmanus

A closed dynamic transducer with a titanium diaphragm and a neodymium magnet combine to precisely reproduce every sound across the entire audible frequency range, even from low-powered portable devices.

I wonder where the drivers are being sourced from? They sound similar to those used by the French guys (AEDLE) who started producing last year

466f69bf86c6608282156dd862ad04af_large.p

d1d6b7591b897ed3625dc657657682f7_large.j

Edited by complin

The goal here is to democratize the concept of swappable/replaceable cable with a widely available open standard. At the moment, the female part on the cup is a Switchcraft USA with a thick gold plating, not just gold flash stuff. No, this ain’t cheap."

The choice of RCA's on each cup is just bizzare but those earpads do interest me. 

Edited by complin

It would be nice if these turned out to be good, becuase more good headphones is better than fewer, but I absolutely cannot stand these people.  The RCA plugs are stupid, as is the explanation.  they want to "democratize the concept of a replaceable cable"?  Fuck you.  I didn't get to vote.  Also, no one owns mono mini plugs or mini xlr.  All they will do is generate trouble when people plug these directly into a DVD player or something.

There is nothing magical about their choice of wood, either.  All I wanted to know was what driver they were using, and they didn't tell me.

I have no issue with the RCA interface, and of course I'm all about wood. My only question is will they only play Anne Murray, Neil Young, Justin Bieber, Celine Dion, etc...

On the other hand, I could happily listen to Joni Mitchell, K.D. Lang and Michael Buble all day long.

Well maybe there is a clue in this statement from the web site ?

Inspired by and committed to underground music, arts, skateboarding and sustainability

What comprises the genre of underground music, and what do skateboarders like to listen to  :kitty:

I have no issue with the RCA interface, and of course I'm all about wood. My only question is will they only play Anne Murray, Neil Young, Justin Bieber, Celine Dion, etc...

On the other hand, I could happily listen to Joni Mitchell, K.D. Lang and Michael Buble all day long.

Edited by complin

I like the RCAs.

I do wish they would buy some sand paper to take out the tool marks.

Most importantly, a design like this would be pretty easy to replicate by anyone with access to a maker space with a small CNC, and an open source headphone design would be a fun DIY project. Probably why they are not talking about what driver they are using.

It annoys me that this isn't in the kickstarter thread.  Do they merit their own thread?  No, they don't.

Geez... had no idea there was such a thread, or thusly that I violated protocol.  Had to do an advanced search (just now) on the word Kickstarter in thread titles only to even find it.  If it annoys you that much, just merge this thread into that thread.  Assume that's within your moderator powers, no?

• Like 1

I was just giving you a hard time, Wayne.  If it really bugged me, I would have, indeed, merged the threads.

Cool.  Sometimes I step on toes without meaning to.  Probably what annoyed you more than anything was the product itself.  

When I first read it, the idea seemed good, although not terribly novel.  But I also found it annoying that they didn't provide much substance (like what kind of drivers, and maybe some specs) and instead relied on the "goody goody" recycling angle and then filled the entire webpage with the typical fluff (as others have pointed out here).

I'm actually glad that others here pretty think they will be crap, because I was a bit tempted by the Grado-like simplicity of the design.

• Like 1

I'm actually glad that others here pretty think they will be crap, because I was a bit tempted by the Grado-like simplicity of the design.

I think if the makers had any audio credentials, they would have mentioned them in the pitch. All I got out of the pitch was that they are skateboarders with environmental ethics and left-wing politics who like to diy. That's fine, but I'm surprised their kickstarter was funded given the cost of the cans and the fact that they mentioned nothing about how they'll sound.

But good on them for doing something interesting, and who knows, maybe they'll be okay.

Edited by acidbasement

I think if the makers had any audio credentials, they would have mentioned them in the pitch. All I got out of the pitch was that they are skateboarders with environmental ethics and left-wing politics who like to diy. That's fine, but I'm surprised their kickstarter was funded given the cost of the cans and the fact that they mentioned nothing about how they'll sound.

The outward image is more important than the quality of the product itself.

All I got out of the pitch was that they are skateboarders with environmental ethics and left-wing politics who like to diy. 

That must be why I liked them, because I've always been a big fan of left-wing politics.  :rofl: 

Edited by Wmcmanus