Need a Solid State Headphone amp for LCD X-Recommendation please

I really want to get my hands on a GS-X...it's the one that will give the AURALiC a run for it's money, me thinks.

I'm not sure which will be better Tyll, but my GS-X MKII is simply amazing with the HD800.  Your HD800 will love you for it.  Have you contacted Justin requesting one for a review?

I had here an Auralic on loan and my Gilmore Reference which is more or less a GS-X. Tried it with the HD800, LCD2, R10, Ps1... On all accounts I liked better de GR, even on balanced with the cans I was able to try it like the LCD2. With these still my favorite amp is the B22 and it's not even balanced.

I have both the Gilmore Reference Balanced & GS-X MK2 and they are spectacular amplifiers.  With lower impedance phones like Qualia & R10, the GR is slightly airier with deeper lows.  Soundstage is also a tad deeper and widerer.  However, the MK2 is noticeably better on harder to drive phones like the HD800 and almost as good as the Reference with the R10 & Qualia.  Between the two amps, I've found the MK2 to be pretty much dead neutral while the GR is just a tad brighter.  According to Justin, the Gilmore Ref may still have an edge on lower impedance phones due to beefier PSU and nicer caps (blackgates).

Edited by purk

I never new about those Gilmore Reference amps that HeadAmp apparently used to make, Purk. Found some interesting pictures on Google.

I'm still very much in love with my MKI GS-X (Deepak's old unit). I've never heard an amp that's this transparent to the source – it puts a spotlight on what it's doing, while feeding pretty much any headphone exactly what it needs to sing.

I never new about those Gilmore Reference amps that HeadAmp apparently used to make, Purk. Found some interesting pictures on Google.

I'm still very much in love with my MKI GS-X (Deepak's old unit). I've never heard an amp that's this transparent to the source – it puts a spotlight on what it's doing, while feeding pretty much any headphone exactly what it needs to sing.

Yup, it is a superb amp.  Have you ordered the new electronic modules from Justin?  I think you will like it even better with those modules.  Yes, those Gilmore Ref. Balanced amps were made back in 2005-2007 I think...the day when blackgate caps were more abundant.

Just checked out the internet archive site...and the Gilmore Reference Amplifier was retailed for $1599 back in 2004.  Man...I wish I can go back in time and order his KGSS for $1499.00!!  Thanks Internet Archived Wayback Machine!  

for Dynamic Headphones Gilmore Lite Dynamic Headphone Amplifier 299.00
(10 Days)     Gilmore Lite with Dedicated Power Supply 479.00
(10 Days)     Gilmore Dynamic 
Headphone Amplifier V2 549.00
(21 Days)     Gilmore Dynamic 
Headphone Amplifier V2-SE 849.00
(10 Days)     Gilmore Dynamic Reference Headphone Amplifier 1599.00
(30 Days)     Gilmore "Dynahi" Headphone Amplifier (Standard Version) 1799.00
(45 Days)   Amplifiers
for Electrostatic Headphones Gilmore Electrostatic Headphone Amplifier (KGSS) 1499.00
(30 Days)     Gilmore Electrostatic Headphone Amplifier
(Blue Hawaii Tube Output)
(60 Days)   Power Supplies Gilmore Lite Dedicated Power Supply 199.00
(10 Days)     230/115V Voltage Converter
With purchase of Gilmore Lite for 220-240V customers only. 20.00

Yup, it is a superb amp.  Have you ordered the new electronic modules from Justin?  I think you will like it even better with those modules.  Yes, those Gilmore Ref. Balanced amps were made back in 2005-2007 I think...the day when blackgate caps were more abundant.

I haven't, no! It's something I'm considering, actually. As much as I'd love to upgrade to an MKII, I tend to think it won't be worth the hassle (international sales and all), especially if I can even closer to its performance with such a simple (although not that cheap) upgrade.

I haven't, no! It's something I'm considering, actually. As much as I'd love to upgrade to an MKII, I tend to think it won't be worth the hassle (international sales and all), especially if I can even closer to its performance with such a simple (although not that cheap) upgrade.

Not sure what is the cost of the upgrade but many who did seem to love the improvement over the MKI.  I thought that it is as simple as plug & play kindda upgrade.

Not sure what is the cost of the upgrade but many who did seem to love the improvement over the MKI.  I thought that it is as simple as plug & play kindda upgrade.

Oh no, I meant that upgrading the module is much much simpler than upgrading my MKI GS-X to an MKII, and much less of a hassle. It is a simple plug and play!

• 3 years later...
20 minutes ago, fradoca said:

as a mastering engineer using the lcd-x i can only recommend the Audio-GD HE-9

Good for you. Seeing people doing things makes me very happy. Did you realise thread is from 2014? Have you ever think thread starter might get an amplifier since the first post?

Edited by Sechtdamon

1 hour ago, Sechtdamon said:

Good for you. Seeing people doing things makes me very happy. Did you realise thread is from 2014? Have you ever think thread starter might get an amplifier since the first post?

all professors and accademics here? relax... c'mon it was just a suggestion...

• 5 years later...