Songs You Came Across On Some Streaming Service And Thought Your Head-Case Buds Might Enjoy Too. No Critical Endorsement Implied. Fuck Vevo etc.

Hopstretch

It will be tough for me to contribute to this thread because ...I have too many suggestions.  For over 13 years, I have been listening to SomaFM's Groove Salad.  Via GS, I discovered the brilliant minimalism of Aspen, the atmosphere of All India Radio [EDIT: URL got munched] (my most listened-to artist on last.fm, with over 5000 plays), the synth pop of 2raumwohnung and a legion of others.  

This was the song I heard on Groove Salad that got me in to 2raumwohnung.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jofp9zDbTF0

Edited by Knuckledragger
  • Like 2

In my above post I mentioned Aspen.  Anyone who listened to the entirety of last week's Test Tone heard me talk over the song that got me into Bevan Smith's work.  

"This Is Why Only Teenagers Can Really Love Music" sums his output up pretty well.  A fairly lengthy track with a weird, pretentious title.  It's minimal (dubby) techno, a genre which is more often boring and pretentious that it isn't.  All of this said, the song is bloody brilliant.  When Bevan is/was good, he is the absolute master of doing a great deal with very little.  He evokes so much emotion out of a few drum hits, some frosty ambience and some fairly simple melodies.  This Is Why Only Teenagers Can Really Love Music is probably not his best work, but it's certainly up there.  I liked it enough to pay obscene amounts for his entire catalog (it averaged out to $25 a CD), shipped from the other corner of the globe (New Zealand).  That was a dozen or so years ago, when the Information Age was a lot less information-y.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I think my metalhead friends will appreciate this -- when I saw the band name -- Leprous -- I just assumed death metal and moved on, but it's actuallly really great.

https://soundcloud.com/officialinsideoutmusic/leprous-rewind

Also:  lots of clean singing.  Which is telling.

Just noticed this. Damn, that's good! I had also written them off as death metal based on the name. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 9/11/2015 at 1:58 PM, Hopstretch said:

This blindsided me tonight in a playlist -- the one song that is guaranteed to make me cry every time. Trigger warning for anyone who has, had or is a father. So, yeah ...

I was living in Walnut Creek, CA. I think it was '92. I was getting ready for work when this video came on. I'd not heard the song before. When my roommate/best friend came down a minute later, I was balling like a baby. He thought a family member had died, and when I told him it was the video he laughed at me. By this point in time I had lost multiple friends to AIDS. And my macho, redneck, Texan Father had shocked the hell out of me, by completely accepting my homosexuality. This song/video still makes me cry every time I hear it.

Edited by swt61
  • Like 3

I met some of these guys on the 70K cruise in 2015, was a co-promoter of a show they played in Winnipeg, and then saw them at the SoCal Pleasure Faire (renaissance fair) a year ago. I got good and drunk with them again on 70K last month, and helped with the kickstarter of their upcoming album (I have the pre-release now - it is awesome!). Los Angeles-based acoustic pirate-themed metal. Their live shows are something else.

Edited by acidbasement
  • Like 1