California Audio Show (CAS) Aug 15th - 17th, 2014

blessingx

Encouraging, but unfortunately the YouTube English machine-translate produces lines like "Biz solutions of space detection system with roof people." Is that good roof people?

"While using the HAPS1 with the KEF's at work, you will be able to clearly hear the space around the notes. Beware the roof people."

Hmm,..

Maybe I don't get it, but aren't we talking about a music server with DSD upsampling?

I do think that the upsampling sounds pretty good at first blush but just like PCM upsampling, I'm not so sure I'd like it in the long run.

IMHO the promise of upsampling was to smooth out the signal but it doesn't pan out in the real world. In some cases, I think it even makes the grain of the digital waveform more obvious. But that's PCM.

I guess for a grand, it would be more of a convenience source?

My iPad/Remote and iTunes fills that need for me.

It is pretty slick and I'd like to think that for the average listener, it might raise the fidelity factor.

But it's nothing new right?

http://www.stereophile.com/category/media-server-reviews

Well, I guess it depends on how you approach it.

I've only heard the HAP-S1, but if the HAP-Z1ES lives up to the hype is there an equivalent $2K media server/DAC combo at that level? Several of those (NAD, Bryston, etc.) on the linked Stereophile page are only media servers with digital outs.

Likewise the HAP-S1 loses a little, but adds that other functionality for roof people for $1K. Anything similar? [EDIT: Looks like the Denon DRA-N5 gets mentioned as close.]

Love to A/B the S1 DAC against other $1K DACs and the Z1 against $2K ones. Also test the Z1s upsample to double DSD and both's DSEE to know if they add any value. I roll my eyes most of the time at this stuff, but Sony does own a lot of compression patents. Still ridiculous? Maybe... probably... but if anyone is going to pull it off...

Edited by blessingx