General software advice for Windows

For virus protection, I've been running Microsoft Security Essentials for years now, and haven't had a malware or any other incident since. 

FYI - Dan pointed out in another thread (maybe this one?) MSE may no longer be a good option.  I can't find the relevant link right now but google produced mixed results about whether or not MS is still updating MSE.  For years it was the best, but I've been using other stuff now given the uncertainty. 

FYI - Dan pointed out in another thread (maybe this one?) MSE may no longer be a good option. I can't find the relevant link right now but google produced mixed results about whether or not MS is still updating MSE. For years it was the best, but I've been using other stuff now given the uncertainty.

Thanks for the tip, I will look into it.

Man, I've missed this thread.

If paying, pick for antivirus is Eset NOD32 all the way. Free tools like Malwarebytes I also recommend. Immunization with spybot search and destroy is really helpful as well.

Free DVD ripper for closest to original burning is DVD shrink (It rips and resizes perfectly to largest quality to fit on disc and it lets you select which streams not to include like languages and extras). AnyDVD HD is something I've purchased however for blu-ray playback and ripping.

EAC is the best CD ripper for quality I know of. Foobar2000 is a great free listening, organizing and converting tool I also recommend. I use mp3tag to manage tags as well.

Google drive is my favorite free office alternative.

Don't forget to make your own backups, because window's own solution is not reliable. I use the free Macrium reflect.

CCleaner is useful to clean temporary internet files.

Must have browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox are adblock plus, ghostery, and https everywhere.

Recommend using CCCP (combined community codec pack) for codecs and video playback over VLC lan.

If you are security and virus conscious, try secunia PSI to alert you when a program needs to be updated for security, it is free and will even auto update most things.

Edited by manaox2
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

My dad is using AVG and it seems that he may need a better Antivirus program.   (As mentioned in my thread of "Windows 7 problems" he has some malicious code that AVG or F-secure tells him about but doesn't remove and I'm concerned about it.)

Mister X mentioned Bitdefender.  Does anyone know about this?   It does seem to have better ratings than AVG.

Try http://www.eset.com/us/home/products/smart-security/

Free for a month. Used them when I had a PC and continue to use them for my mac. Never had any issues. With Windows, for better or worse, once something got inside, formatting and starting anew was the only thing that kept my mind at peace. Since your dad doesn't want to do that, I'd keep throwing different AV at it until you are happy/less concerned. 

I'm wondering if I should buy Kaspersky for him.  It seems to always have good reviews.  Perhaps I should buy him a copy of Windows 8.1 and have the disk sent to his house.   I don't know if he'd have the patience to start from scratch.  

Does anyone know about the free Kaspersky Virus removal tool? 

Edited by shellylh

Shelly, I'm helping Ken with trying to save his old HP.  If you have the Activation Key (I imagine it's on the sticker on the machine), I can send you to a legal torrent site with the various Win 7 ISO images that Microsoft USED to host through DigitalRiver.  Not sure if there's someone to help your dad in your absence, but it may help.....

EDIT: unfortunately, the link is at home so wouldn't be able to send it until later this afternoon/early evening

Edited by skullguise

Thanks, that might be useful.  I'm not sure my dad could download and my it on a disk to install but it may be useful to know if I can't come up with something else.  

Seems like ESET is faster but Kaspersky is a little better performance wise.  Since my dad's computer is old, I guess he probably shouldn't use Kaspersky...

I'm wondering if I should buy Kaspersky for him. It seems to always have good reviews. Perhaps I should buy him a copy of Windows 8.1 and have the disk sent to his house. I don't know if he'd have the patience to start from scratch.

Does anyone know about the free Kaspersky Virus removal tool?

You can get Windows 10 for free from Microsoft if you don't mind waiting a couple more days - I think the release date is the 29th. Don't know if it will be better or worse but no harm in giving it a try. If he doesn't like it or if it causes issues you can buy 8 anyways.

Edit - didn't realize the 29th is tomorrow. So you'd have to wait until tomorrow. :)

Upgrade instructions: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-upgrade

Edited by crappyjones123

Can't speak to his tendencies or if he would like a new flavor of windows. Only suggested it as a free alternative to buying windows 8. As I said before, if he doesn't like it, you can buy windows 7/8 as you were going to in the first place. Alternatively, if you have the serial key as Todd suggested, you can download a kosher copy of windows and use your own key instead of purchasing a new license. If you do end up purchasing a new license, check abenity.com. They have a lot of discounts for students/teachers if your institution is affiliated with them. I have seen MS stuff on there for deep discounts. 

Has anyone tried Kaspersky or know of a reason why I shouldn't but this for my dad (I could also use it on my Microsoft Surface Pro 3 since you can use it on 3 computers)? I'm wondering how resource heavy it really is. It seems to be great in every other way*.

*Except that some people claim that the program is used to mine data for the Russians based on Kaspersky's connection with the KGB in the past. I'm guessing that this is not the case. It does give me second thoughts though.

Edited by shellylh

I used Kaspersky many years (like twelve or more) ago and always performed well, however it missed a pretty nasty worm which caused lots of trouble. It was Avast the one finding and cleaning it, so I started using it, first the free version then the paid one. It was my only antivirus until I moved onto OSX. Now I'm using none.

It's been awhile since I used it, but last time I had a Windows machine I cared about ESET (commonly referred to by it's antivirus NOD32 name) was a great resource light option. And I say that working for leaving a competitor. ;)

Fixed....and your opinion is now suspect!   ;D   j/k

And HERE is the link for the site I mentioned elsewhere, they have torrent files for the Win 7 ISO's that DigitalRiver used to carry.  You just add your own activation key.

• Like 1

Look what I found at home.

post-1008-14381303741665_thumb.jpg

One of them is the disks that I bought to upgrade to Windows 7, the other is an OEM I bought at Amazon.

Will my dad* be able to use either too do a clean install? Which would be better to try? Only the " upgrade" includes a 64bit version.

If feel more comfortable sending these rather than something that was downloaded from a torrent site (even if legal).

*Or someone who knew what they were doing?

Edited by shellylh

Can one run "Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool 2015" another anti-virus program installed/running or will that cause problems?  The virus removal tool doesn't get installed.  It says that it shouldn't be your only anti-virus suite so I thought it may be ok. 

Edit: Nevermind, it says it is compatible here. 

http://www.kaspersky.com/free-tools

Edited by shellylh