Tour de France 2014

Voltron

Overall smooth start to the race today without massive pile-ups that often happen in the first days.  The crowds were unbelievable in Yorkshire -- such a turnout could not have been expected.

Cavendish screwed it up in the last 250 meters because he was too anxious and now it seems likely that he will be out of the race altogether.  Sad finish for the home crowd but Kittel is the real deal and Sagan doesn't have the same level of power but is still crafty and quite fast.  

I hate Cuntador but they say he is in great shape and will at least challenge Froome more than last year.  It would be nice to have some others step up and create some drama.  I will miss Quintana Rojas.  I'm amazed that he won the Giro, and apparently he has his sites set on the Vuelta this summer.  I hope he comes back to the TDF next year.

20 more days of fun and punishment!

I didn't have time to watch but I will say that the outcome wasn't what I wanted. I hate when injuries remove the rivals and I would have much rather watched the big 3 duke it out in the mountains. I guess that's how it goes but for me the race has lost some attraction this year.

Cool stage

But I hadn't seen it before inadvertently seeing the first line of your post in Tapatalk timeline mode. Kinda wrecked the suspense. For those of us recording, it would be great to hold off on results commentary or at least put in something generic and then return a couple of lines so it doesn't show up in Tapatalk or the like. Thanks.

Took me even longer than usual to see the last stage before the rest day.

It was quite a wild ride in many ways.  The Contador crash and abandon was totally the opposite of what I was expecting for the stage, and the whole breakaway/Martin/Kwiatkowski/Rodriguez thing was epic, and then Nibali dominating the finish.  Wow.

• 2 weeks later...

Not related to this year's Tour but I watched ESPN's 30 for 30 movie, Slaying the Badger, last night and found it highly enjoyable.  Roughly speaking it chronicles the rise of LeMond and focuses on the '86 Tour. 

I didn't get to watch much of this year's Tour, really just the last few stages and pieces of some of the early ones but watching the last TT was as inspiring as usual.  I need to ride more.

• 11 months later...

Not related to this year's Tour but I watched ESPN's 30 for 30 movie, Slaying the Badger, last night and found it highly enjoyable.  Roughly speaking it chronicles the rise of LeMond and focuses on the '86 Tour. 

I didn't get to watch much of this year's Tour, really just the last few stages and pieces of some of the early ones but watching the last TT was as inspiring as usual.  I need to ride more.

Yes, I really enjoyed this as well. LeMond was a monster before he got shot.

I've watched a bit of this years tour, but didn't see yesterday's stage and crash.

This Tour is already pretty freakin epic with cross-winds, crashes, cobbles, and comebacks. Today's finish was awesome and inspiring, especially after the disaster yesterday.

Very sorry to see Fabian Cancellara abandon with another broken vertebrae in his last Tour. Losing Simon Gerrans and Tom Demoulin were other bummers.