Computer build help

Doug they worked initially. Then they all stopped working one at a time. I'll try some linux distro tonight. 

Marshall, I don't have a DMM handy but that drive is the only one dying/dead as it came bouncing around inside the box with no protection whatsoever. Drives that are 5+ years old are still running just fine. 

Meh, I guess you really don't need a DMM when the system voltages are reported on the UEFI BIOS "home" page.

That kind of packaging would certainly explain the hard drive problem. :(

Are the front USB ports working?

I did a quick google search for "z87x-ud4h usb problems" and there seems to be an awful lot of forum threads out there......

Crappy, if it was me, and I am rather anal about computer builds, I would send everything back for a refund and buy from someplace else.  I only buy from newegg because the selection is great for certain parts, and I can pick it up locally from them.

Here are my thoughts:

1. Try an Asus or MSI board at present.  The big three go back and forth periodically as to who has the best board for the money, but right now, it seems Asus and MSI are slightly less problematic.  I'd go Asus, but that's my personal preference right now.

2. Please, please, please buy hard drives locally every time.  Even if they are a bit more.  They are finicky little bastards, and your data is important.  If you have the chance, go HGST (Hitachi) whatever size you want.  If no them, go WD.  Yes, I know that WD owns HGST now, but everything I have read, those two are 1 and 2 as far as reliability.  Usually most stores carries at least one of those brands.

3. Amazon for everything else.

Meh, I guess you really don't need a DMM when the system voltages are reported on the UEFI BIOS "home" page.

That kind of packaging would certainly explain the hard drive problem. :(

Are the front USB ports working?

I did a quick google search for "z87x-ud4h usb problems" and there seems to be an awful lot of forum threads out there......

For a $200 motherboard wish it didn't have as many problems. That being said, I intend on using the apple wireless keyboard and trackpad so hopefully I can find one port that works reliably.

Crappy, if it was me, and I am rather anal about computer builds, I would send everything back for a refund and buy from someplace else.  I only buy from newegg because the selection is great for certain parts, and I can pick it up locally from them.

Here are my thoughts:

1. Try an Asus or MSI board at present.  The big three go back and forth periodically as to who has the best board for the money, but right now, it seems Asus and MSI are slightly less problematic.  I'd go Asus, but that's my personal preference right now.

2. Please, please, please buy hard drives locally every time.  Even if they are a bit more.  They are finicky little bastards, and your data is important.  If you have the chance, go HGST (Hitachi) whatever size you want.  If no them, go WD.  Yes, I know that WD owns HGST now, but everything I have read, those two are 1 and 2 as far as reliability.  Usually most stores carries at least one of those brands.

3. Amazon for everything else.

Asus and MSI aren't Hackintosh approved. I am trying to stick to the list pretty closely. Amazon now charges sales tax in Florida so I have been shifting to B&H and have found the prices to be comparable with 3 day free shipping. I'll give this one more try. If I have any more issues, then I'll send it all back as there's no telling as to what damage could have been done in transit to the other parts. 

There are going to be certain reliability drawbacks when you goal is to steal software, I guess.

This. Having run plenty of cross-compiled operating systems it is never a good idea and was more headaches than it was worth. It should be said that these hardware platforms are all no longer being made, but still.

I purchased a MacBook Air with mountain lion. When mavericks came out, I paid the $20 to buy it. Not sure where I stole software from them. Now I patiently wait for the next bullshit and misinformed comment from Dan about not buying software unless I buy their hardware.

Ps. I just bought a MacBook Air that comes pre loaded with mavericks so I guess I paid twice for it then.