ppl is leaving TRIAD AUDIO

ppl

As of August 1st 2014 I will no longer be designing TRIAD Audio products and will be Leaving TRIAD Audio starting in Aug 1st. I have granted Brad of TRIAD Audio A licence to continue making the Products like the L3, however My abligation to provide technical support will end in August and TRIAD AUDIO will not be Involved with the manufacture of any future Products like balanced Amps ect from my hand so please direct all service and technical issues to the TRIAD AUDIO site.

This is probably a good time to let you guys know this.  I'm sure that no better time will ever come.

As of today, March 3rd 2079, I am leaving the unincorporated territories of New Colombia to pursue my future in exotic fuel speculation.  Our resources have simply run out, gentleman, and it's time we face it.  I have terminated all my existing claims, and left them in hands that I consider to be capable -- BRAD from TRIAD audio.  If you see my human son, or any of my children who do not identify as gendered or specied, please direct them to my new address.  Questions regarding service can be bundled together, palletized, and shot straight into the sun.

• Like 1

Guys....you got these all wrong.  PPL is the engineer behind LaRocco and Triad Audio and he is an exceptional person.  Phillip La-Rocco is his real name and he is not "Larry Milligan".  Both Larry & Traid Audio (Brad) used his designs to mfg. their amps.  From what I understand, Phil (Uncle Phill) didn't not get involved with Larry on the business side of things (he just licensed out his designs).  This man is the main ideas behind the DIY META42, and PIMETA, and PPA projects.  He is one of the first person who implemented "discrete" buffer stage in headphones amplifiers (circa 2003).  In fact, he can be credited for many of the discrete buffers that are being used in many amplifiers today.  For instance, Headroom & RSA did not use discrete buffer stage until after 2006.      

I have dealt with Phill many times in the past and he is an outstanding individual.  So I can vouch for him here.  In fact, he was kind enough to send me one of his tube amplifier prototype that sound just wonderful on an extended 3 months loan.  This e-Phi  is just pure bliss to listen to.  Can you guys remember the PPA amplifer, and even the Pocket Reference amp?  These amps together with Justin's Gilmore V1 & V2 kicked serious ass in the days and continue to compete with anything up to $1000 today.  The L3 is just an evolution of Pocket Reference.  The L3 is the best sounding portable headphones amplifier I've ever tried.  It is considerably better sounding than Justin's Pico Power, albeit not as versatile.  

http://tangentsoft.net/audio/ppa/

http://tangentsoft.net/audio/meta42/

Dusty, you were around back then...so you should remember these right?  

Edited by purk
  • Like 1

Dusty, you were around back then...so you should remember these right?  

I was never very involved in the DIY segment, but I remember the names of the amps you mentioned, and how popular they were.  And I certainly take your and Nate's words for it.  Sorry for the threadcrap.

Regarding memory -- dude, I'm lucky if I can remember what day of the week it is any more, much less my own name.

The point tho is ok, so he's not at someplace no one has heard of.  This might not be the best place to announce it.  He's been a member here since 2006 and that was his only post.  Obviously, not a priority.

Certainly he didn't read the welcomed PM back in 2006.  I think it just a general limited liability announcement on headphones forums I guess.  

Actually I know Phil is not Larry. However for the time I remember, commercially, Larry was the person to deal with, if you wanted an amp from Larrocco.

No matter how brilliant PPL is/was, the crap from Larry is what I remember associated with either PPL or Larrocco names. Capisce?

Actually I know Phil is not Larry. However for the time I remember, commercially, Larry was the person to deal with, if you wanted an amp from Larrocco.

No matter how brilliant PPL is/was, the crap from Larry is what I remember associated with either PPL or Larrocco names. Capisce?

Yes, it is pretty lame what Larry did.  Phil contributes a great deal to the community though.  I wish he makes more of his design public likes KG.  His designs always sound really good.

I remember lusting after Meta42s and PPAs.

Remember when Meta42 w/ OPA627 was considered quite a marvel of an amplifier when it bettered the HR cosmic?  I took my maxed out PPA out of the storage recently and it still able to best Violetric V200 & HR Balanced Desktop Amp (circa 2009) in single-end output.  Folks tend to forget that the maxed out PPA was a really good amp.

• Like 1

Nice Nate.  I still have two of them and know someone here with two PPAs as well.  Yup, quite a sound from a DIY desktop amp.  It was neck-to-neck with the Gilmore V.1 & V2.0 in the sound department.  Given that you can roll op-amps in them, they are actually a tad more versatile..

Edited by purk