Mattresses

shellylh

I think it's about time to get a new mattress.  I am having to sleep on my back because of my shoulder issues our bed is 9 years old.  So I feel that it is not giving me the support I need (my back has been feeling sore and achey for one reason or another).  I was looking at memory foam mattresses (firm or med-firm) but I am just not sure that is the way to go.  We are probably going to do that or a good/firm spring mattress.  We were happy with our Simmons Beautyrest for many years but the foam topping isn't holding up anymore on my side.  

Thoughts?  I know some people here love their memory foam mattresses.  I can afford a Tempur-pedic but only want to put out that kind of money if I know it is going to help my back.  Also, I have read about some of them having mold problems in a short amount of time.  They are also really heavy.  There are a billion other memory foam companies and I have been looking into them.  It is just hard to say how long their products will last, how good their foam is, what it will feel like...

Have a friend who bought and sent back several mattresses before settling on a Tempur-pedic. That said I went old school with a McRoskey and love it (and helped my back). If you're going to be in the Bay Area anytime soon you could test at the showroom (above their warehouse).

http://youtu.be/tDKfGMPOyeU

A short while ago, I did some serious research into beds, because I thought we were going to get one.  It was spurred on by the US Mattresses holiday deals I kept seeing on slickdeals.  We ended up sticking with the one we have for monetary reasons only.  I have the exact bed I want, ready to pull the trigger when the boss says so.

All that to say that I seriously suggest you look into latex beds (latex molded into latex foam to be precise).  I am just not sold on memory foam, although there are many that are.

Here is where our next bed will come from:  http://www.foamsweetfoam.com/   The foundation will come from Amazon though - too much markup from that site.

I've looked into latex mattresses and they look good, although really really heavy* but my hubby doesn't seem to excited about getting one.   I wonder if one can get a latex top on a spring coil mattress.  That seems like it would work well.   I do have a slight fear that I might be allergic to latex (I am allergic to most bandaids but that could be because of the glue they use). 

*which is not good if I ever get bed bugs again since you have to check your bed a lot.

I've heard that Tempur-pedic aren't as good as they used to be but I read that on the internet so who knows if it's true.  I do also need a better pillow. 

Ric:  I'll be in the Bay Area in September but I'll probably want to get a bed before then. 

I was doing mattress research when I needed a new one a few years back and ended up getting a NovaForm memory foam mattress.  Way cheaper than the Tempurpedic's I saw.  I love it.  I also got a memory foam pillow and like it way more than my other pillows.  If I were to do it all over I'd look seriously at latex too.

I was doing mattress research when I needed a new one a few years back and ended up getting a NovaForm memory foam mattress.  Way cheaper than the Tempurpedic's I saw.  I love it.  I also got a memory foam pillow and like it way more than my other pillows.  If I were to do it all over I'd look seriously at latex too.

Very true! My first MF matress was a NovaFoam. Loved it. My last MF purchase was this one...

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/night-therapy-elite-13-mygel-prestige-memory-foam-mattress-king/prod6480113.ip?navAction=push

Loved it even more!

I like firm.  Firm.  FIIRRMMuh.  My favourite "bed" was one of those workout mat (think yoga mat) on a concrete floor.

I got my mattress at Ikea -- they keep changing them, though, I don't think you can get my favourite one any more.  It wasn't particularly heavy for a twin, the one I got for the queen bed I use now was a little heavier.

(shudders) @ Torpedo's "whore bed" description -- yeah, I'd hate that too.

We recently upgraded from our Chevette "we can sleep on this while we're in our 20s without hurting" mattress to a Cadillac (actually a Simmons Beautyrest Black Grace).  It's a joy to lay down now, and we don't hurt at all in the morning, despite da missus being prone to back pain.

Unlike audio gear, my experience says the best strategy is find something you really like that is completely outside your budget, and then wait for it to go on sale, because it will.  Ours was a $5000 mattress, and we only had to wait a couple of weeks to get it for $2000.

Whoa $5000???  That is crazy.  That said, I don't think I'd be happy to wait a couple of months.  :(  We do have at least 10 mattress places within a short walk from our house (7 of which carry Simmons Beautyrest) so maybe we can use that to our advantage.  

I am not sure I would like something that firm Dusty.  If I liked something that firm, I think I would just get a 4" latex topper and put it on a wood platform.  

Steve:  I've looked at the products at Sams and Costco since they would be easy to return.  However, I don't want to buy foam from companies whose foam isn't certified by Certipur or are made in China. 

http://certipur.us/pages/for-consumers/find-products/

Whoa $5000???  That is crazy.

Ah maybe take the McRoskey off the list.

I agree on the sale wait recommendations, but I'll also add that spending crazy money on a mattress/box springs probably makes much more long term sense than almost everything else we discuss buying on this site, no? Restful sleep, a third of your life, and all that. Not as sexy as audio gear or a car, but c'mon it's a bed...

mm.jpeg

[Marilyn Monroe not included]

Edited by blessingx
  • Like 3

Sorry, I missed that.  People seem to think that mattress is fairly soft, how firm is it?

I agree with Reks about support, but I'd call it medium firm. I like a firm mattress and I loved this one. I thought the cool gel technology actually helped some as well. I hate being hot when I sleep.

All this said...It'll be about 30 days before your body fully adjusts to a MF mattress. Not that it'll suck before that, but after I had my first MF for about a month, I woke up one morning and realized I hadn't turned once all night (a minor miracle for me), and have absolutely loved them since.

IMO everyone have their own sweet spot of firmness-compliance to feel supported and comfortable. I wouldn't ever buy a mattress that I can't try at the shop. Even better if you've been able to try it for a couple of nights. Our last mattress purchase was after a couple of nights in a hotel that had a "perfect bed" for our needs. We got the very same mattress.

• 2 weeks later...

Been shopping for a mattress for daughter last two weekends (three stores). Between jumping and wetting we don't expect it to last long so likely going cheapish, but while there have been trying everything. A lot to like, but those Tempur-pedics aren't too shabby. ;)

Also what's up with all the Ss (Stearns, Sealy, Simmons, Serta, &c.)?

Edited by blessingx