Mattresses

shellylh

Thanks. Yeah, we had one that hasn't worked out so well (though fortunately hasn't been tested too often) and likely buying a Protect-a-Bed shortly.

Worst segue ever... trying various mattress types led to a conversation last night which led to a Reddit thread which led to the below chart. Not sure how accurate, but for those curious about non-sleeping activities...

beb8a9718306656119dd0ea5d85a9d43.jpg

Edited by blessingx
  • Like 2

Bought our mattresses in the UK from these guys. They are -- without doubt -- the best I've ever slept on. Obviously doesn't help you directly, but there's a ton of good information on their web site, albeit not super well organized.

Sprung:

http://www.factory-beds-direct.co.uk/category/really-need-to-know/

Memory foam etc:

http://www.johnryancontemporary.co.uk

Edited by Hopstretch

I guess you know this but a mattress pad/cover is advisable for wetting.

Thanks. Yeah, we had one that hasn't worked out so well (though fortunately hasn't been tested too often) and likely buying a Protect-a-Bed shortly.

We had waterproof matresses for our kids until a year after they were trained. Wish I could tell you exactly where we got them... I know my wife found them online somewhere, but they worked great.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Shelly, I meant to post when I saw this last week on phone but didn't get a chance, then forgot.

I bought a mattress from overstock.com earlier this year. Looked for specs over name brand and wound up with an 8" mattress with a 3.25lb density top layer. It was definitely comfortable, and once I got to sleep the first night (30-45 minutes) I slept HARD.

Fast forward a few months, and I start to notice my typical static back pain has lessened quite a bit. I rarely notice it, and have gone from taking something for back pain from once weekly to maybe once monthly. It was gradual, but I have felt better all around... And this was just a 250$ (after discount codes) mattress.

I'm a fan.

**BRENT**

• Like 1

I bought my son a foam mattress from Overstock and he liked it.  I bought one for my daughter from bed in a box and she has been using for the last three years without an issue.  We have a 7 or 8 year old very firm Tempur Pedic which I believe helped cure my low back problems.

• Like 1

I also have a cheap memory foam mattress from Overstock, and sleep better in that than any other bed I have tried.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Bodipedic-10-inch-Queen-size-Memory-Foam-Mattress-and-Cover-Set/1150841/product.html

Guess it is less cheap these days, but still way less than tempurpedic.

Edited by cetoole

This is the one I got, FWIW. It's the same company, just a lower model, from what Colin got. http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Bodipedic-Essentials-8-inch-Queen-size-Memory-Foam-Mattress/6153386/product.html?searchidx=0

I had 15% off, and it was a bit less than that too. I think that company also does one that has a cooling gel layer on top. If you'd be interested, we can track down some decent overstock coupons, or let you know when the 12/15/20% ones come around.

**BRENT**

Edited by MexicanDragon

After trying out tons of mattresses in the store (many different foam, coil, and a couple of latex mattresses), I have decided that I am really picky about them and don't want to buy a mattress without trying it out in the store.   I am not sure trying one out in the store will be as useful as sleeping on one in real life but there were a LOT of mattresses that I just didn't even find comfortable for a short amount of time.  I also realized that I don't want a mattress that was super firm (especially after staying on one last week).  I just don't it will give me the support I want (and it hurts to sleep on my side when I do).  

There were two mattresses I really liked 

1) Simmons Beautyrest Recharge  World Class Luxury Firm (the one with 1000 coils, we haven't been able to find the one to try out with the extra small 1000 coils yets).  We have Simmons right now with the pocket coils we have really liked it. 

2) Tempur-pedic Rhapsody Luxe.  I don't mind paying the price for this one if I *knew* that it would bring me 10+ years of great sleep.  I am just not sure that a foam mattress is what I want. 

There were a lot of foam mattresses (Tempur-Pedic and other brands) that I didn't really like.  This makes me worried about getting a mattress without trying it (I don't want to have to ship the thing back).  

Now, we just have to try a few more beds and make a decision.  The two mattresses we like are really very different so it is a difficult choice.  Also I am trying to decide if it would be worth going from a Queen to a King size mattress. 

There were two mattresses I really liked 

1) Simmons Beautyrest Recharge  World Class Luxury Firm (the one with 1000 coils, we haven't been able to find the one to try out with the extra small 1000 coils yets).  We have Simmons right now with the pocket coils we have really liked it. 

Also I am trying to decide if it would be worth going from a Queen to a King size mattress. 

You might find this helpful:  http://slickdeals.net/f/7165268-us-mattress-labor-day-sale-simmons-beautyrest-recharge-world-class-firm-luxury-firm-or-plush-queen-689-beautyrest-hypoallergenic-pillows-6-more-with-free-shipping?sdxt01=internal&sdxt02=Deal+Bit&sdxt03=For+Thread+7165268&sdxt04=slickdealsindex

This was the sale I was referring to in my past post.  The mattress you want is in the link on massive sale.  Just make sure you read the entire thread.  US Mattress has polarized reviews, but most people like them.  And for those prices?  Damn.

Also, if you are good at haggling, you might be able to get a local store to match those prices - many people have in the past.  It's worth a shot if you decide you want to go with the Simmons.

Finally, once you go King, there is no going back.  Beds are just like TVs.

Edited by roadtonowhere08

Shelly, if you found a Tempurpedic that you liked initially, there is a 90 day trial offer. You would have to purchase the mattress online, but you know which one you liked, so...

I've heard they are good about refunding the purchase price in those cases where people just weren't happy in the long run.

IMO it will take you about 30 days to adjust and decide, but 90 days should be way more than adequate.

http://www.tempurpedic.com/shopping-with-us/ninety-night-tryout.asp

It may be common knowledge, but in case it's not (I didn't know) some chains have their own branded lines, sometimes built to higher specs (more springs, etc.) at certain mid/lower price points. For instance first two chains visited didn't, but Mancini's did and we preferred their Sleepworld Premier Diamond Euro (which we bought yesterday) to equivalent big brands. It may be same or different with memory foam (didn't want to take away daughters jumping possibilities, so we went with traditional mattress this time).

IMO it will take you about 30 days to adjust and decide, but 90 days should be way more than adequate.

We bought one of those memory foam + gel things about a year ago (a Serta cool elegance). We spent a lot of time in a store trying everything, and ended up with a mattress that was preposterously more expensive than we were intending. But it was amazingly comfortable, and perfectly firm which I like.

A year later, the support sucks. And really, had we had a 90 day option, it would have been returned as it sucked within that period, too. I am not particularly heavy, but it is not nearly as firm as it was when new -- unless I sleep in the middle where it is still nice.

We bought one of those memory foam + gel things about a year ago (a Serta cool elegance). We spent a lot of time in a store trying everything, and ended up with a mattress that was preposterously more expensive than we were intending. But it was amazingly comfortable, and perfectly firm which I like.

A year later, the support sucks. And really, had we had a 90 day option, it would have been returned as it sucked within that period, too. I am not particularly heavy, but it is not nearly as firm as it was when new -- unless I sleep in the middle where it is still nice.

That is not good to hear. :(. Sorry Doug.

• 2 weeks later...

Shelly did you end up picking something up?

Are having problems with the earlier mentioned daughter's mattress (and unfortunately also its mem foam replacement), so back at shop again this weekend. While there for the heck of it tried some Klufts (and loved their lower line, Aireloom, even more). That was before I saw their price tags (the store only carried the up to $20K mattresses ;) ).

http://youtu.be/cz0Eo2aDs_A

The Airelooms though are back to semi-Earth-bound McRoskey/Tempur-Pedic prices. They're a hybrid of ten/dozen layers of traditional and contemporary materials and were pretty fantastic. When GF & I are ready to replace our mattress I'm sure a base Aireloom will be in the running.

The salesman, a pretty nice guy whose been great dealing with our issues, also confessed his opinion that sex isn't quite the same on memory foam. Or as he put it looking at me "you have to do all the work and the older I get the less I want to do all the work."

Edited by blessingx
  • Like 1