Mattresses

shellylh

Jeffy, Tim and I really liked the feel of the Tempurpedic Rhapsody (I didn't like the one with cooling because it felt too cold to me) but in the end we decided to get a latex bed for the following reasons.  (1) I bought a pillow from Tempurpedic and couldn't use it (because of the smell) for 2 months.  Tim was able to use it after a couple of weeks but I am more sensitive to smells.  The first couple of weeks, I had to keep it in the guest room because it made the room so smelly.  I can't imagine what would happen with an entire bed.  (2)  People have complained that the Tempurpedic mattresses are as well made as they used to be.  (3) They don't completely divulge what the mattress is made from and what the weights of the foam are.  (3) They were more expensive than their competition (even some of the quality latex mattresses).  (4)  Complaints of mold on some of them (although this may be because of user error).  

If it is not too far to drive, I would check out Foam Sweet Foam which is where I plan to get my next mattress if my life ever settles down. 

http://www.foamsweetfoam.com/latex

• 1 month later...

Well after much procrastination, the prospect of visiting relatives finally pushed us to make a decision on a new mattress.  Mostly based on a Consumer Reports rating, we settled on trying a memory-foam style: the "Novaform® 14" Primafina Queen Gel" from Costco. We also got the "Sleep Science Queen Folding Mattress Foundation" as a base.

After one night, my wife has declared a success based on how her back felt this morning. No heat issues, which was one of our major concerns with memory-foam. We'll see how it holds up over time...

I think that rather than trying yet another foam mattress that I end up not liking and thus replacing in a year, we are leaning toward a (bottom end) Hastens. It is a lot of preposterous marketing nonsense, but they are really comfy.

We have a store that carries those 1.5 miles away. I should go try them.

I did not expect to buy a new mattress, but one of the air bladders was leaking, so went

to mattress firm and ended up with the tempur-pedic, hardest one of the bunch. same

day delivery, drag the oldest mattress away... the ones with the cooling gel were way too

soft.

the comfortaire was 12 years old.

will see how long this one lasts.

latest thing is 100% waterproof mattress toppers as an add on.

• 1 month later...

Those who liked their Casper, how is it holding up?  Also, how smelly was it when you first got it?    

Went and tried a Casper today in their ridiculous LA showroom. It was pretty nice, but Jackie was not impressed.

We went to a Sit and Sleep, and I walked in there pretty hostile, based on what I know about mattress salespeeps. Tried an Aireloom and was intrigued, then got on a Tempur-pedic Contour Rhapsody Breeze...

Probably pulling the trigger on the Tempur-pedic tomorrow. Jackie thinks it's a little "goopy," but I love the support.

And the cooling layer is cooling.

How did the Casper compare to the Contour Rhapsody in terms of firmness?  I am thinking of getting a Casper (twin size) for a temporary solution while in an apartment (to have more room).    It is pretty cheap.  I would then get a queen bed from foamsweetfoam once I buy a house. I can put the twin casper in guest room once I buy a house.  [I'm not going to pay to have my old mattress moved.]

I am also I little worried about them ripping the encasement since it has Alpine Dust inside of it from when it was treated for bed bugs. I wouldn't want that stuff all over everything. Mostly, I would really like a new bed and if I move it, I'll probably end up sleeping on this bed for another year.

In still interested to know how much people like their Casper. Maybe I should just get it as a queen sized instead of the FSF since it is a lot cheaper. I'm mostly concerned with it being too soft and being smelly because of the foam (the last Tempurpedic pillow I bought I couldn't let in my room for a month because the smell would keep me awake and at that point Tim used it not me).

Still liking our Costco Novaform after two months. Never any smell issues (and my wife is super sensitive olfactory-wise). I have noticed that it is more comfortable sleeping on my back than on my side due to the way it conforms better to the former rather than the latter. So one's opinion re: memory foam styles may be determined by your favorite sleep positions as much as anything else.

• Like 1

I recommend building your own. These guys have great prices on DIY natural latex and organic covers (king size would run you about $1,400).

Natural latex is good stuff for a mattress because it's dust mite, mildew, and mold resistant.

http://sleeponlatex.com/

Memory foam really isn't the greatest as it tends to retain heat and is not as "clean" as natural latex... Something that's important when you are sticking your face in it for 8hrs a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ordered the Foam Sweet Foam 9" Queen size latex mattress with the following layers:  Talalay Med, Dunlop Firm, Dunlop X-Firm

They had an extra $400 off coupon for the holiday (making the mattress $1659)  and said they would wait to ship it for a week.  I'll have it shipped directly to the new place. 

http://www.foamsweetfoam.com/urban-green-–-queen-9″-or-full-9″.html

I'm planning to get this foundation unless someone knows a better option locally (does Ikea have any decent foundation/frames). 

https://www.sleepez.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/3/products_id/101

I have a queen size frame but it only has 6 wheels.  Do you think it is worth getting a frame with 9 wheels fro a queen bed with one person sleeping on it?  

• 2 weeks later...

Got the mattress from Foam Sweet Foam setup and it is fantastic (although I haven't slept on it yet).  I can't say the same about the foundation from Sleepez - the wood they use has a million splinters. 

Thoughts about mattress protectors?  

I figure that since I just invested a good amount of money in a mattress, I should have a protector.  I ordered a wool batting filled mattress protector from Foam Sweet Foam with my order but I don't know if I like it.  I was thinking that a basic wool puddle pad like the one below would be better.  I like the fact that wool helps with temperature regulation.  I don't really want something that completely encases the mattress or one with plasticy stuff. 

http://www.diynaturalbedding.com/product/diy-organic-wool-puddle-pad/

Do people use mattress protectors and if so, and they like them, what are they?