Mattresses

shellylh

It's my understanding that latex is fine as long as it's labeled 100% natural -- all others are likely mixed with petroleum based plasticizers. Natural latex has many good qualities -- it's antimicrobial, doesn't mildew and dust mites can't live in it. It also never packs down and gives you good motion isolation. Our current mattress is encased coil springs, organic wool, organic cotton and natural latex. Company doesn't ship outside the West Coast but sure there are others making a similar product. As you're finding, I think, if you rule latex out completely the pool gets a lot smaller.

I just went through shopping for a new bed and it does seem like all the ones mere mortals can afford are hybrids with at least one layer of foam in there somewhere.

What is the issue you have with the foam Doug?

Personally, I don't like memory foam on top since I move around a lot.

• 1 month later...

I am completely in love with my new 4 layer latex (Dunlop xfirm, Dunlop firm, Dunlop firm, Talalay med) mattress from Foam Sweet Foam.   For some reason, the 4 layers is so more comfortable than the 3 layer version I have now in the guest room (which was great to begin with). Both beds are much more comfortable than the Casper guest bed I have in my opinion.  

Edited by shellylh
  • Like 2

I've been sleeping on a new hybrid mattress from Sealy called the Gilded Breath. I'm not much of a bed/mattress critic but I am a side sleeper.

This is a mid priced mattress with a pillow top and multi layers of foam on a conventional spring base.

IIRC I paid about $770 on sale.

Like I said, I'm not very critical of what I'm sleeping on but so far so good (about a month).

• Like 2

I had a memory foam mattress for several years.  Comfortable for both my bride and I, one a side sleeper and the other a stomach sleeper.  Warm in the winter, hot in the summer, but oh so comfortable.

However, when I replaced it I found a local manufacturer with an incredible reputation who does very little advertising.  Makes coil spring mattresses.  Had ours for a year and both my bride and I like it .... a lot!  A lot of bang for the buck.

Lots of websites of questionable support (manufacturers), reputation (paid by manufacturers) or just awful advice.  Found https://www.themattressunderground.com to be reliable depending on how much effort you want to put into purchasing a new mattress.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/11/2017 at 8:47 PM, luvdunhill said:

I think you get can sheep intestine as a latex alternative these days.

The benefit being a new mattress and homemade "natural" condoms!

On 9/24/2017 at 10:24 AM, ironbut said:

Like I said, I'm not very critical of what I'm sleeping on but so far so good (about a month).

Colin, is that you?

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 8/11/2017 at 9:18 PM, Hopstretch said:

It's my understanding that latex is fine as long as it's labeled 100% natural -- all others are likely mixed with petroleum based plasticizers. Natural latex has many good qualities -- it's antimicrobial, doesn't mildew and dust mites can't live in it. It also never packs down and gives you good motion isolation. Our current mattress is encased coil springs, organic wool, organic cotton and natural latex. Company doesn't ship outside the West Coast but sure there are others making a similar product. As you're finding, I think, if you rule latex out completely the pool gets a lot smaller.

This was very helpful, we hunted down many brands.. there are quite a few and finally went with a fully natural latex foam mattress instead of coils and springs. It feels like everyone is selling some type of foam mattress these days and its confusing.

• 1 year later...

Let's bump this thread again (thanks Shelly). 

After 18 years on a McRoskey, we're looking for a new mattress. We've tried The Natural Mattress Store's latex and hybrids, Nest Beddings various offerings, many of Tempur-Pedic's 20 models, Kluft's Cashmere/Mohair/Alpaca/gold leaf craziness, a few of the S's (Serta/Sterns/Sealy/Simmons), and we're running out of steam. It does seem we're most comfortable with a traditional mattress, though with the amount of layers and hybrid technologies in most of these I'm not sure the strict division still exists. We're starting to lean back to McRoskey (new wool model) or possibly Aireloom (Kluft without as much $parkle), though open to new suggestions if anyone has any (thanks most recently Doug - Hastens looks very interesting and there’s a showroom nearby, though I see we’re above DUXIANA in outlay)? I'm not sure who decided Memorial Day was best honored with mattress sales, but there's that now, however mattresses are the one thing I don't like to skimp on. Any thoughts?

Edited by blessingx
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, blessingx said:

though I see we’re above DUXIANA in outlay

They are definitely not free, though this is Head-Case ...

We're still happy with ours, and I'd buy it again. I'd describe it as being cozy austere, and the temperature regulation is the part I like the most. At the end of the year they sell the floor models for 30% off which can make it a little more reasonable. And if a floor model mattress is creepy, the toppers are replaceable - and they are supposed to be replaced every 4 to 5 years which is an added expense to consider as those are not free, either.

• Like 1

Doug, this being Head-case, did you go with a Vividus model? ;)  I gotta try one of theirs. 

Stretch, the great thing about the Natural Mattress store in Palo Alto is they have five other lux mattress stores within four blocks and two general dealers in a couple miles. Easy to do lots of trials. 

I'm sure the best way to shop for a mattress, like everything, is through marketing videos, so here are a few for future hunters that I came across... 

And my favorite...

Bonus: https://vimeo.com/138767306 

Edited by blessingx

Mad dash at the end. Here's my unuseful take (as an inner spring preference side sleeper)...

Best: Hästens

Most Loved: McRoskey

Most Confusing: Duxiana

Great, But Always Too Close to a Hästens: Vispring

And of course the above have almost nothing in common with each other.

In the end we went bang-for-buck and joined the Aireloom club. Ronald Reagan and I finally have something in common. 

Aireloom Midnight Preferred Ingraham

Aireloom-Mattress-Set.jpg

Edited by blessingx
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...