Mattresses

shellylh

Looks like it a pretty new design for them, but they made interesting choices (I’d ignore the coil count though). Very curious, so let us know. I see they recommend their down/down-alt top pad, which could assist with the above. 

EDIT: Just realized our new linen sheets are Parachute (GF ordered). If you can tell anything about a mattress from their sheets ;) go for it!  

Edited by blessingx
  • Like 1

I've slept on most of the "internet" mattresses over the last few months. They mostly feel the same, to me (with the exception of a Puffy, which was very comfortable for sleeping).  I'm still very happy with my 10 year old Sealy plush euro pillow top.  It's halfway through its warranty period (not that I would expect it to be honored for anything, but it suggests that it was made for longevity), at this point, and hasn't changed much (I rotate it every 6 months or so). Any of the memory foam mattresses are relatively terrible for sex, if that is a consideration. 

Edited by EdipisReks1

Stain clean up is easily resolved with a mattress cover. And agreed: the "durable" section suggests whomever made that hasn't had a good inner spring mattress.

My mattress was $2500 on substantial sale 10 years ago, so maybe I just have a really good inner spring mattress. Several dozen people have slept on it since I got it, and they invariably say that it's incredibly comfortable, upon flopping on to it.

I just realized that what I thought was just giving mattress advice turned into bragging. ?

Edited by EdipisReks1

Does anybody have an opinion on the Parachute mattress (https://www.parachutehome.com/products/mattress?opt-size=queen).  Reviews are scarce but a very positive.  It looks like it could be a "poor man Hastens".
They have a reasonable trial policy so I think that I'll try this one first.

I’d be reluctant to buy any spring bed without trying since they change from bed to bed. However, I don’t think I will go back to a regular bed again. I still love love love my latex mattress. I even got a two layer one for the rv. Have never slept as well on any other bed.

I have a locally made spring mattress with a 2 inch latex topper.  Love it.

The springs give me the firm support I need (big fella for those who don't know) and the latex gives a pillow like top.

Mattresses are such individual preferences and hard to compromise on if shared.

3 hours ago, shellylh said:

I’d be reluctant to buy any spring bed without trying since they change from bed to bed. However, I don’t think I will go back to a regular bed again. I still love love love my latex mattress. I even got a two layer one for the rv. Have never slept as well on any other bed.

One must for me is a mattress with a reasonable trial period.  I want to make sure that I'm really happy with it before I commit long-term.   So I won't buy any mattress without trying it.

Are you saying that spring mattresses vary from unit to unit in the same product line?  I can't see why spring mattresses would be more apt to have unit variations than foam or other matteresses.

2 hours ago, Aimless1 said:

I have a locally made spring mattress with a 2 inch latex topper.  Love it.

The springs give me the firm support I need (big fella for those who don't know) and the latex gives a pillow like top.

Mattresses are such individual preferences and hard to compromise on if shared.

I tried a locally made spring mattress with Dunlop latex topper and really liked it.  However the company has no trial policy so I'm trying others now.  Who knows, maybe I'll come back to this mattress.

I agree that mattresses are very individual.  Some mattress companies allow customization for each side of queen and larger mattresses.  That would increase the chance of having a shared mattress without compromise.

The Parachute looks interesting and has a trial period, so it will be the first I'll try.  If I love it at the end of the trial period, I'll buy it otherwise I'll chose the next mattress to try.

I have tried tons of spring mattresses in store and many of them feel very different in terms of the springs, foam, etc.  

I bought my mattresses from Foam Sweet Foam.  Originally I had a queen with 3 layers (Top Layer: Talalay Medium,  2nd Layer: Dunlop Firm, Bottom Layer: Dunlop X-Firm).  When I upgraded to a king, I got 4 layers and it is heavenly.  The only bad thing is that they are a bit heavy.  You can swap out different layers and do split layers as well.  They also have a 120 night trial period. 

https://www.foamsweetfoam.com/

https://www.foamsweetfoam.com/returns

Each manufacturer and retailer are different.  I had a 30 day trial on my mattress.  

I used mattress underground as my primary resource which was great until the owner died.  His wife now owns it and collects fees from manufacturers so the ratings are all skewed now.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Bumping this thread. I'm going out mattress shopping today and found it very useful for ideas of stuff to try out. Thanks everyone.

I've slept like crap for a month so I'm hoping a new mattress is part of the solution.

Brands I'm looking to try today: Natural Mattress, Duxiana, Aireloom, King Koil, Tempur Pedic, Intellibed.

Thankfully almost all of them have showrooms/retailers close to me in San Rafael.

Edited by TMoney
  • Like 1

Redirecting back from The Horse Mistress: Book 2.

Plenty of sales running right now. For whatever it's worth I'm not so sure we made the best choice in Aireloom v. McRoskey (I think the San Rafael showroom is currently closed). The Aireloom is still very nice, and I'm sure we're now taking it from granted, but it broke in more in three months than the McRoskey did in probably a decade. Starts with what they call the Aireloom Lift, but does dip not long after. McRoskey was more solid, but stayed solid.  

51SXHZ5e8yL.jpg

Well, that ended up being a lot less painful than I thought. I started the day thinking I was going to buy memory foam but I ended up hating them. 

I bought the Natural Mattress Stretch recommended. The latex just felt right immediately  compared to the 7-8 different brands/types I tried. It was towards the reasonable end of what I had budgeted for too so that didn’t hurt either.

Shout out to the tall man. I would never have heard of the company/brand if you hadn’t brought it up in this thread.

I also decided to make the switch from queen to cal king. I’ve had a queen since I first started grad school 13 years ago and while that size is fine the extra foot of width in the Cal King will have plenty of space for a future Mrs. TMoney.

Edited by TMoney
  • Like 7