Mattresses

shellylh

No, I still haven't made a decision.  

I was leaning towards a latex mattress because of longevity and the off gassing of memory foam (even the pillow we got from Tempur-pedic took weeks before I could sleep with it in the same room).  However, I fear that I may have some (perhaps just skin) allergy to latex.  This is just based on the fact that I have had skin rashes when wearing certain bandaids.  I think it is probably due to the adhesive and not the latex but perhaps I should get tested by my doctor beforehand.   Also, I am wondering if I may find the latex beds too bouncy.  Tim moves a lot at night and it tends to keep me from going to sleep (also the reason for getting a king size bed).  I still like the Simmons Beautyrest but don't want to buy from one of the big mattress chains here (which both have an F BBB rating).  

What was the problem with the beds that you got? 

What was the problem with the beds that you got?

The first was a very soft, pillow top innerspring mattress (toddlers weight) and had no real edge support. As daughter recently got her own room we have to calm her sleep (sometimes several times a night), which means often falling asleep on the edge of the twin bed. Which means without edge support barely being able to walk the next day. This choice was our mistake for not thinking it through. Exchanged for same brand memory foam. Twin seemed great on the showroom floor, but we elected to move to a full (dual use when visitors visit and move us away from edge) and I suspect because of construction, though we may have had a lemon that didn't cure correctly*, now the 25% outside edges are as/nearly as firm as the showrooms (which is a year old and should have more give than our new one), but the middle 50% isn't. Went back to test display and confirmed. Now it's miles better than the first bed, but already feels like it's 5-10 years old and sagging in the middle (though I suspect it won't get much worse in near future being mem foam). Now we could probably live with it, but two weeks in don't want to (especially after Doug's story). Options in same quality/price point, are to go back to twin in memory foam (hopefully would be like showrooms) or firm version of first innerspring, likely in full, to keep away from edges. If next step up was a minor cash outpouring we'd probably do that, but it's unfortunately a doubling (as my options now are locked to dealer). 

* Sleep like the Dead says "At least 12% of memory foam bed owners say the bed they received has significantly different firmness than the one they tried in a showroom."

• 4 weeks later...

That would have been useful to read at the beginning of my journey.  

Update:  We are probably going to get a 9" king size latex mattress (x-firm Dunlop, firm Dunlop, and medium Talalay for the top) from www.foamsweetfoam.com (someone mentioned them in this thread and I am too lazy to look it up).  

Because I have an skin allergy to bandaids (most likely it is just the adhesive) I decided to be careful and get an latex blood allergy test to make sure I don't have a serious allergy to latex.  It would suck to find out after having the bed shipped all that way.  I'm waiting for the results. 

Now I just need to decide about the support for the bed.  We have a solid wood platform that the mattress could rest on but many places say that a mattress should be able to breathe and so a solid base isn't good.  I've thought about converting it to a slat platform  by doing something like this. 

http://www.flobeds.com/products/foundations-legs/slats-for-platform.htm

I could also just get a king size frame and this from http://www.sleepez.com/foundations.htm or some cheaper site. 

wood-foundation-uncovered.jpg

Edited by shellylh
  • Like 1

That would have been useful to read at the beginning of my journey.  

Update:  We are probably going to get a 9" king size latex mattress (x-firm Dunlop, firm Dunlop, and medium Talalay for the top) from www.foamsweetfoam.com (someone mentioned them in this thread and I am too lazy to look it up).  

Because I have an skin allergy to bandaids (most likely it is just the adhesive) I decided to be careful and get an latex blood allergy test to make sure I don't have a serious allergy to latex.  It would suck to find out after having the bed shipped all that way.  I'm waiting for the results. 

Now I just need to decide about the support for the bed.  We have a solid wood platform that the mattress could rest on but many places say that a mattress should be able to breathe and so a solid base isn't good.  I've thought about converting it to a slat platform  by doing something like this. 

http://www.flobeds.com/products/foundations-legs/slats-for-platform.htm

I could also just get a king size frame and this from http://www.sleepez.com/foundations.htm or some cheaper site. 

wood-foundation-uncovered.jpg

If you end up getting a latex after your test, be sure to tell how you like it so I can use it to try to persuade the boss when I cannot stand the cheapie spring one we have now.  And yeah, any well built slat platform will be perfect for latex.

• 1 month later...

Love my Casper, I get much better and more sleep than I did on my old mattress which was one of those enormous ones with the huge pillowtop's.  The Casper provides good support, I don't get hot, I don't completely sink into it and it's properly soft (as in not mushy soft, just very comfortable).

If you want a firm to very firm mattress the Casper is not for you.  It's absolutely on the soft side of things.

• 4 weeks later...

I too am in the market for a mattress, and the Casper was suggested to me by Facebook who saw that Brent likes them.*

Any word on how the Casper mattress does "in the sack" to use the parlance of our times?

I will be in the vicinity of their showroom on Thursday so I will get to test the "lying down" performance. 

*Proof that ad campaigns on facebook do in fact work. FUCCCCK. I am aware that its working, and I still look.