São Paulo – Brazil August Meet

Leonardo Drummond

This has nothing to do with liking how something sounds.  Plenty of people like Hifi-man and Ultrasone headphones even though they are dreadful.  Just flip over the Stratus and look inside, the cheapest possible iron which everybody agrees makes or breaks an amp.  Lousy circuit design and a "DC" filament supply which will burn up the tubes.  What's not to like....?

I liked the Stratus with the HD800 :) 

But I ain't ever seen the insides nor spend $3.4k on it. Still prefer the Manley Neo 300B for HD800's. 

DC filament supply? Regulated or no? I thought it was good thing for some designs as AC could induce noise inside. (Unless I'm mixing heater and filament around).

For any filament or heater supply you have to regulate the DC which DNA doesn't do.  A simple LT1083 supply would be great for heaters (a 7805 with a diode on the ground terminal also works just fine) but for DHT filaments you need a high frequency switcher to get optimal tube life. 

These tubes were never supposed to use AC for the heaters as a tube like the 300B was supposed to use batteries for the filament.  It's what they had at the time and explains the low voltage.