Sony PHA-2

Dusty Chalk

I hope most of that $500 goes to good DAC performance.

I see quite a few posts here about DSD playback.  Is it that inconvenient to convert files to 88.2/24 PCM?  DSD just seems like a pain in the ass format with no clear benefit over PCM.

For me -- it's not so much that it's inconvenient, as I just don't know yet until I've heard it for myself (the difference between DSD files played straight vs. converted).

I should add -- I've always liked the performance of Sony headphone jacks on the MDR-7506/-V6.  So I'm sure it'll sound good at least on the MDR-7506/-V6.  I keep wanting to say, "...on Sony headphones", but I keep forgetting to try the CD3000s on anything, so if I get this, I'll definitely try that combination as well.  But I'm sure some of it is spent on branding and style as well.

I understand that.  Even if you do set up that comparison, you have to trust your own perception in that moment.  Then you have to wonder if a particular DAC might be better at one format or the other.  Then you have to set up a tightly controlled blind test.  

Eventually, you realize it's all too much trouble, buy a DAC that does it all, and enjoy.  

If you do end up getting one, let us know how it is.

• Like 1

I have one of this and it is pretty nice portable amp/DAC combo. Don't expect stellar performance as a hirez/DSD DAC tho. The downfall of this particular Sony is its rather short battery life and inability to charge while playing. The pha-2 is especially great when paired with my Sony nwz-zx1 & JH13pro. Beside the battery issue, the pha-2 is a very well designed unit.

• Like 1