New scam targetting Verizon customers

Jon L

Now I've seen everything.  I just received a call from a (800) number to my Verizon cell phone with a pre-recorded message telling me to claim my Verizon wireless reward by logging on to Verizon18.com.  I had my doubts, but the website looked identical to the real Verizon website, and when I clicked on certain parts of the fake website such as "customer service," it brought up the reall verizon wireless customer service page, so the scam is designed well. 

What gave it away was it requiring you to type in the ID, password, then the last 4 of social security number.  This now appears very dangerous, and I called Verizon, they confirmed this is not a Verizon website or offer.  Verizon will alert its fraud department.  Anyway, this is a warning for Verizon customers.  A voice call to my cell phone is a new one on me, different from the usual and obvious "Bank of America" or "ebay" scam emails from foreign email addresses.  It just seems like the world is faull of criminal sh%%Heads trying to scam or hurt you and getting worse.  

Still, shudder to think how they got a hold of my verizon cell number.   

Edited by Jon L
  • Like 1

Still, shudder to think how they got a hold of my verizon cell number.   

Did the scam call actually know your name?  It's fairly easy to figure out the cell provider if you have the area code and first three digits of a phone number, assuming you haven't moved to a different carrier without changing your phone number.  It's easy enough to send scam messages to numbers that would be attributed to one certain carrier by just using the area code and first three digit (e.g., 508-740-xxxx numbers are generally Sprint numbers).

Edited by Salt Peanuts

Did the scam call actually know your name?  It's fairly easy to figure out the cell provider if you have the area code and first three digits of a phone number, assuming you haven't moved to a different carrier without changing your phone number.  It's easy enough to send scam messages to numbers that would be attributed to one certain carrier by just using the area code and first three digit (e.g., 508-740-xxxx numbers are generally Sprint numbers).

I guess they never mentioned my name.  It was a pre-recorded, "computer" voice of a official-sounding lady.  

My current cell phone numbers is many years old, carried over and over through different cell phone providers, so I still don't know how they called my number...