WiMP comes to the UK/US as Tidal

Grahame

I was referring to the Desktop application (which is what I was trying to use on my Mac Mini).  Perhaps the desktop app doesn't work well with Snow Leopard which is what I still have on the Mac Mini (I only use it for streaming music).   I cannot find any requirements for the desktop app.  I was using the Chrome web browser.  Everything works fine on my Air which is what I am using as my main computer.  

I already have a PC Brent (Surface Pro 3), I just only use it as a pen tablet because.... Windows.  :(

I am using the iOS app on my ipad right now.  It has stopped playing music a couple of time but most of the time it works fine. I do like that it doesn't drain my battery like the Spotify app does.   

Also, I wanted to stream Alison Krauss and Union Station's Paper Airplane this morning but it turns out that they don't have it on Tidal.  :(  Also, searching for Alison Krauss brings up her solo stuff but not  Alison Krauss and Union Station which is annoying. 

1) It's 40$ more (you're already paying 10$ for Spotify, so if you drop it, Tidal is just 10$ more). If you download what you want before hand, you should be good. Is there a 5-10GB option for say, 10$, that you could go to? It's possible that you could get what you *need* for 20$ more.

(Snip)

I guess it really depends on how much you want to have, and what you think you can live with downloading at home before you go out.

**BRENT**

I wouldn't be able to get rid of spotify, at least for a while, if I wanted to go with tidal because my wife is completely in love with it, thus the $50. She really loves the interphase, lists, etc.

Usually it comes really great for on the road listening. Do not need extremely high quality streams. Unfortunately my in home listening is pretty much zilch. If things change in the future I will give it a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out of curiosity who's using mostly mobile apps to stream any service at home on wifi to a DAC? As much as I like the larger real estate of the laptop screen, when listening seriousishly I tend to not be in front of the computer. Guess that's why the mobile UIs are important to me.

(Snip).

I have an older iPod touch hooked up to an onkyo ns-s1 to a musical fidelity Dac. It works fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, I wanted to stream Alison Krauss and Union Station's Paper Airplane this morning but it turns out that they don't have it on Tidal. :( Also, searching for Alison Krauss brings up her solo stuff but not Alison Krauss and Union Station which is annoying.

Just tried on phone and a couple AKUS albums came up under her name-only (New Favorite). No Paper Airplanes though.

I'm on the third day of a 7 day trial. I like it a lot. My experience with the SQ is very similar to Brent. I normally encode at high rate variable and call it good because I determined years ago that my old ears couldn't tell the difference. Maybe/probably* placebo but Tidal is causing me to reconsider that assumption.

* one small data point: the one time I noticed that the music was sounding "normal" (as opposed to really stellar) so I looked and the HIFI symbol was inactive for whatever reason. I assume it was a temporary poor wifi connection.

I tried using Tidal on my Mac Mini (which I control via Screen Share).  I installed the app and it won't play any songs, once I press play I just get a spinning circle next to HIFI.  Has anyone experienced anything like this? 

It seems that the Tidal desktop application won't play in HIFI mode when it is installed on Snow Leopard.  If I change to "High" quality output, it works great.  Unfortunately, this is the computer that is hooked up to the big rig.  I could upgrade to Mountain Lion but there are some programs that I have on that computer that only run on SL.  

It would be interesting to see how the selections vary by county. If anyone in the US feels that an artist is underrepresented, I (or 'stretch) could compare, and vice versa. Maybe Tyll could get an article out of it. I could even get a U.S. Trial before the UK one expires and do a side-by-side .

Thoughts / suggestions.

Taylor Swift (because of her notorious relationship with Spotify)

Porcupine Tree

Robert Fripp

King Crimson

(because of their notorious relationship with the digital download community, iTunes, etc.)

Pineapple Thief (personal thing -- one of my favourite bands, possibly my favourite current band -- I have everything on Spotify and nothing on Tidal)

And vice versa -- if you don't feel like signing up for a US trial, let us know which ones you're missing that you want one of us to look up, I'd be happy to.