WiMP comes to the UK/US as Tidal

Grahame

I've been using it for about 2 months now. Tried PC, android, and Chrome and came away impressed with all. Funny enough, the PC client might be the worst of all as an interface. I wish they made use of recommendations as well, but the playlists listings have been useful. Afrodelic music playlist was a good one.

The content/curation is getting noticeably deeper too, recently.

The iOS client still logs out every time it hands off between my home wifi and the cell network (ie. every time I drive out of the front gate), but I guess this is pretty close to the definition of a First World Problem. 

• Like 1

In case someone is looking for an alternative, I have been enjoying Deezer Elite for 16/44 with no drama.  I pump it into a Sonos Connect via the wifi connection, and run an optical coax to my DAC.  Not every file is FLAC but they have a lot of good music.  The engine isn't as intuitive as Beats (previously MOG) which has turned me on to some exceptional new music, but it's solid.  The Sonos GUI is brilliant in that I can search for an artist and I can choose from Deezer, Beats, my personal ripped tunes, etc...  

I quit ripping CD's after Deezer Elite and now no cable from my MacBook Air to the DAC.  Just steer everything through an iPad Mini and either send tunes to the DAC or if I'm cooking pipe it into a Sonos Play 3 in the kitchen (overly bassy but it's not terrible).

Didn't mean to poop in this thread, but it's really been a game changing audio experience for me.  Older I get, the more I appreciate simplicity.

HS

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I'm going to start emailing Jay-Z every time TIDAL tells me my fucking session has expired and I need to log in again, while driving.

:indra:

Actually, the way to use this bitch is to decide what you want to listen to for the next day/week, download it all overnight on wifi and then run in offline mode while out and about. That works great.

• Like 2

I have unlimited data and LTE... So great at work when I want to listen to something random.

My issue with search is that it doesn't always list everything they have. Sometimes it will pull up the clean version only when the good version exists. Spotify wasn't perfect with that either though.

**BRENT**

Edit: Al, bandwagon. Get on it.

Edited by MexicanDragon

the mac app is pretty good and the amarra sq software is a pretty nice complement to it 

I  tried amarra SQ this w/e, after I figured out I had it for free from a past amarra purchase. I THINK I like it better w/ amarra sq, but it was a pain getting licenses updated and installed, and then tweaking settings. I thought it sounded worse, until I lowered the inputs levels a bit, and turned off the eq and filters. I guess that just leaves the engine without much of the extras. But that's what sounds best to my ears. A little more time to get over the frustrations, but I think I'm going to like it now.

Now that some of us have had the service for several months now how is everyone feeling about Tidal's catalog? What's missing is bugging me more over time and curious if others feel same or reverse? Have a pre-paid annual other service so running dual for a while and just head over to other increasingly as the missing titles rack up.

Also anyone figure out why they're streaming 1440kbps FLAC over lossless FLAC?

Strangely I got zero results on mobile yesterday for the obscure artist Paul Simon, but lots on desktop/Chrome (and mobile) today.

I think the most irritating trait of search (and Spotify did this early too) is when you get an album result just to find zero tracks available.

I'm sure they are. ;) Just trying to figure out why Tidel uses CBR/CBR-like 1440 Kbps FLAC versus ~60% that with conventional level 5 lossless FLAC. Easier to justify mobile bandwidth jump from 320 to ~800, than 320 to 1440 (when it should sound same as ~800 properly buffered and processor handled, no?). I must be missing something.