WiMP comes to the UK/US as Tidal

Grahame

For me, it skips often on Android when playing hi-fi, whether I'm streaming, or have had it downloaded already. When set to high quality I have no problems.

At home on my Mac mini, I do not have a problem getting hifi. However, I do sometimes get the message saying there are streaming problems and I should switch to high quality. However this is not audible and it plays fine in hi-fi in spite of getting that message sometimes. I did have a lot of problems getting Amara SQ to work properly without skipping. I finally did get it to work, but only after updating to the newest version, and it only works on the installed app and not when using Chrome.

I got so angry with all the problems I almost gave up. However, I will say that now that it's working well, it really does sound great.

Good luck Antonio! I hope things work out for you, because if it does, it really is worthwhile.

Thanks guys. It's been for your positive comments that I decided to try it and eventually subscribing, as soon as they started streaming in Spain. When it doesn't skip sound quality is clearly better than the lossy stream of Spotify or the own's Tidal "high". Hopefully they fix it, otherwise they're going to lose a lot of business. At 20 euros/month I want the lossless stream, to get lossy I stay with Spotify at 10/month.

Thanks guys. It's been for your positive comments that I decided to try it and eventually subscribing, as soon as they started streaming in Spain. When it doesn't skip sound quality is clearly better than the lossy stream of Spotify or the own's Tidal "high". Hopefully they fix it, otherwise they're going to lose a lot of business. At 20 euros/month I want the lossless stream, to get lossy I stay with Spotify at 10/month.

Yeah, agreed, lossless is the only reason I'm willing to pay twice as much.

I apologize -- it seems like quite a few people are having the same experiences that you are. There's a pretty detailed thread here (haven't read it all yet, hoping there might be some insight within):

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/official-tidal-hifi-streaming-issues-thread-22260/

Sadly that's not the only thread with a lot of the issues described.  There's been some fairly useful tests as well proving it's not a bandwidth on the user's side issue.

I love the idea of a streaming higher res service.  Once they work through the issues, it will be great.  I figure a model whereby they charge more and they can't deliver is not sustainable for long...

HS

Have you tried both the Chrome version and the Mac app version? I've had better luck with each, depending on various factors.

Yup, I've been trying both, depending on performance I've switched to the other just to see if there was a better delivery. Today it seems to be working better. I've experienced no glitches on play back within the tracks, though the times between tracks are still on the long side of things, and in two occasions the next track wouldn't start playing. Looks like they know there's a problem and are trying to solve it. If things keep working like this I could renew the subscription when the trial expires.

The OSX App still has way too many drop outs and long pauses between tracks. On Chrome it's doing much better, but still has some problems. I think it works better when you're sleeping in the US during our morning.

I guess they're aware of the problems and are working to fix them. We'll see :)

TIDAL desktop client is down today. Currently listening to Qobuz FLAC 44.1/16 stream, which also sounds very good. Last I heard they were pretty much bankrupt, but any port in a storm!

Hehehe, this must explain why it's working so damn well today here. No skips at all on the web client on Chrome.

• Like 3

I don't remember.  I did get it to log in, but I never went back and verified that what I listened to was scrobbled.  Last I checked, it was disconnected, but that was never very important to me.

And yeah, that skip-skip-skip-skip-done shit is exactly what I got.

EDIT:

***We are aware that TIDAL is not functioning properly at this time. Currently we are in the middle of transfering content to our new servers, and we are very sorry for the inconvenience. We hope to have these issues resolved as soon as possible. Due to the overwhelming amount of requests during this period, we will try to get back to you as soon as we can. We appreciate your support and patience during this transition***