WiMP comes to the UK/US as Tidal

Grahame

http://thirdmanrecords.com/news/tidal-subscription-promotion-for-vault-members

Really great Tidal promotion for Third Man Vault subscribers. In an nutshell, if you are a subscriber to the Third Man quarterly vault subscription, you can enter a promo code to get Tidal HiFi for $5/month.

If you aren't familiar with the vault, you subscribe and pay $60 per quarter, and quarterly they ship you some kind of awesome vinyl package. I've been subscribing since this summer, and if you like Jack White and third man type stuff the packages are awesome.

Anyway, I had to cancel my account and start a new one to make the promo work, which sucks, but worth it to get Tidal for $5/month.

• Like 3

Bye bye Tidal. 

For jazz lovers there was no fun trying to find interesting selections in their catalogue. I dont have more success with Spotify but at least they offer a realy interesting choice of ''deep space'' electronica music.

Amicalement

P.S.

Now maybe Qobuz....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bye bye Tidal.

Well, same here. Just canceled my subscription before another month of charges. Man, in theory artist focused, CD-quality music sounds great, but I just couldn't deal with the interface. Discoverability dropped near zero for me - it's just using search for everything. Stuff I already knew. If any algorithm was learning my tastes I didn't see any evidence of it. Scrolling through videos and playlists I didn't care about every time to get to albums got old quickly, etc. Funny, the new Tidal (which admittedly hasn't existed long enough to reform experience) was about taking back control from the 'tech companies', but the tech failures are the problems at least for me. Admittedly for someone with different aims, including singles and newer artists-focus or simply finding already known music, it may work much better.

Beats was about perfect for me on mobile - one-click access to a multitude of relevant albums (nice mix of known and unknown), though I'm sure Apple Music will unfortunately shift in days away off this. Lost MOG. Losing Beats. Time to review the options again. Will give Apple Music trial a try, but eyeing Rdio once more.

One thing I have to give props to Tidal is their triple streaming quality settings. Great to separate Wifi streaming, cellular streaming and download quality. Wish more services did this.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...