Apple Watch

I seriously want this to be the end-all solution for running outdoors but I've got a few essential questions that weren't explicit on apple's site... the watch will have to use cellular, right? I don't see how else it will be able to utilize something like GPS unless tethering off your phone, which completely defeats the purpose of using it to run. Also, it's got no headphone input. So once again, are you still tied to your phone for music? Bluetooth seems to be lagging desperately on the headphone front.

Edited by Aura

Starting at $350 - iPhone required.  So as expected it's a phone accessory.  Outside of the payment stuff, I saw nothing interesting that Android Wear can't do.  I'm clearly not the market for this sort of thing so I'll bow out of this thread now.

The features list seems pretty silly to me - mostly things that aren't made all that much more awesome by being done on a watch.  The walkie-talkie thing is kinda neat, but I suspect you can only do it with other Apple users, which is much less neat.

Maybe there'll be some good third-party apps, what do I know?

I'm clearly not the market for this sort of thing so I'll bow out of this thread now.

Yeah, me too.

Edited by acidbasement

Yeah, it said that it utilizes the phone's GPS and carrier for things like calls and GPS, so yes, you have to bring the phone when you run, and yes, that defeats the purpose.

Alas.

I'll wait 'til they figure out how to decouple it from the iPhone.  For the applications I'm thinking of (musical, e.g. theremin-like controller based on distance and orientation from an iPad), don't mind it being tethered to an iOS device, just sorry it has to be only the iPhone.

I will wait for it to be hacked...in 3...2...1...

Yeah, it said that it utilizes the phone's GPS and carrier for things like calls and GPS, so yes, you have to bring the phone when you run, and yes, that defeats the purpose.

Thanks Dusty - yeah I just read that excerpt as well. Definitely not for me then. :(

Edited by Aura

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Oatmeal/status/509409983583113216/photo/1[/tweet]

"Hey bro, you got the time?" "Yeah, it's ... hang on. Just a sec. God fucking damnit. " http://twitter.com/Oatmeal/status/509409983583113216/photo/1pic.twitter.com/2R4MXIVIcY 

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/BxHJrhmCYAAw4Ro.mp4

Sorry, can't be arsed to embed.

From