Apple Watch

Nouveau riche has been a synonym for poor taste for a long time. No reason to expect the Chinese, Russians etc. to act much different.

Very true. We have a say here which applies in these cases, something like "God gives bread to those without teeth and hunger to those without bread". 

Liked this comment from another Brit (note the implicit fanboi dig)

I think if you look at how it is being marketed, you'll see that Apple are targeting up-market, fashion conscious, watch buyers for whom I suspect the features are secondary to the style and image of the thing, so women. At the same time they are offering men more butch versions with gadgetry included. The chaps with expensive cars who buy Swiss mechanical right now. This is additional to twenty million Americans who buy anything new the company produces.

If they pull it off, they'll have done rather well.

As for how long the battery lasts if someone overdoes the geekery, well how strong is the competition?

Interesting, and certainly right about Vogue, etc. covers, but aren't "up-market, fashion conscious, watch buyers for whom I suspect the features are secondary to the style and image of the thing" those chaps, not women? Aviator watch owners aren't pilots, for instance. They're men who like that style. Women, in comparison, like nice looking, practical (timekeeping) devices, no? 

Also, which ones are the "butch versions"?

Edited by blessingx

"In Selfridges, the Apple Watch display is part of its Wonder Room, a room devoted to watches and jewelry and described by the store as 'a unique destination that plays host to the world’s most desirable brands.' Apple’s watch will be rubbing shoulders with Cartier, Bvlgari, TAG Heuer, Gucci, Montblanc, Longines and more."

Not sure about shoulders, but I hope Apple is right up in another of TAG Heuers' parts. Strap-on!

Also: http://originalapplewatch.com/

image-Retro-Apple-Watch.jpg

Edited by blessingx

That story really pegged the whiney-ometer!

How dare people spend their money on things I find frivolous (or can't afford)? Don't they know there are children starving in (insert suitably benighted region)?

Well, I plan on getting the black sports one.  I've become a bit addicted to activity trackers (wearing a vivosmart currently, which syncs with my garmin edge), and this seams to offer the best those have to offer plus a bit more.  My only concerns are the battery life when using the features i like and how accurate the HR meter will be.  

• Like 4

Ordered a stainless and a black aluminum sport model.

Kept refreshing the Apple website until the store became live, and completed the purchase within 3 minutes, and the ship date is still 4-6 weeks out.  How did they sell out the first batch in 3 minutes?  Wow.

Same.  I used the store app, had it already saved in favs with my cc info already in their system  I refreshed until the store let me order, was done in less than a minute, and still got 4-6 weeks shipping.  I'm guessing that was true for everyone, and am hoping that it was just a precautionary thing and it might come earlier.  I ordered the black sport.

There's at least one report of calling Apple Friday morning and being told the dates are "to manage expectations" and some 4-6 weekers would likely receive theirs earlier.

Was near an Apple store today so walked in. Surprisingly, not only did they have the display table and reservations area, but this small store also had three models on the floor for demoing - that no one seemed to notice so you could walk right up to. Confirmed 38mm was best for me, but I wonder what those extra pixels would do (on maps, etc.)? 42mm didn't look as huge as I feared (and VR examples showed). Still experience with the chunky LG G has me more nervous of too large, than too small. 

Same here on the black sport. Suspect they sold a high percentage of those. 

Edited by blessingx

http://intelligence.slice.com/first-apple-watch-data-one-just-isnt-enough/

Almost two-thirds of pre-orders were for the less expensive, aluminum Sport line, which starts at $349. About one-third of pre-orders were for the stainless-steel Apple Watch collection, which starts at $549. The gold “Edition” series, which starts at $10,000, didn’t represent enough US pre-orders to show up in Slice’s report.

The average selling price per watch was about $504. The average order was for 1.3 watches.

71 percent overall selected 42mm. Sport buyers were slightly more likely to choose the 38 mm case, with 32 percent purchasing the smaller version, versus 24 percent of Apple Watch buyers.

The most popular color is Apple’s “space gray” aluminum case—40% of pre-orders—followed by stainless steel (34%), silver aluminum (23%), and “space black” steel (3%).

The black sport band was the most popular band among all buyers, representing almost half of all orders.

The sport band is the hardest one to put on, when I went to Apple Store for my appointment to test drive the watch. The milanese loops is disappointingly grey and dull looking, like a finer version of screen door mesh, not like a shark mesh (or JB Champion mesh for Moonwatch).

EDIT - I had accidentally ordered an extra sport band for stainless when the watch already had a sport band.  When I changed it to the classic buckle leather strap (right after I posted at 1:30AM) the delivery date for that one was 4/24 - 5/8.  So it will get here 2-4 weeks faster than my space grey sport model.

Edited by HeadphoneAddict