Linux Distro

Can you do this with the builtin firewall in Windows 8?

I can only seem to make rules and deny all connections (incoming or outgoing) that aren't specified in a rule?  I would like to block everything and have it ask me everytime there is a new incoming or outgoing connection. 

Edited by shellylh

From reading a little, it seem like you can, but this does not strike me as particularly secure. For instance, if you allow Program X free access because you trust it and Program X turns out to have a security issue, then Program Y can take advantage of that by utilizing Program X to send its data with neither you nor your firewall the wiser. So you still have to be vigilant as to what is running on your computer.

I used to use ZoneAlarm until the big story in 2006 was that they had purposely built in a back door and it was being abused. Eset Nod32 has been absolutely great for my antivirus over the past 8 years, they probably do make a good firewall. Wireshark helps me monitor the traffic, Kali linux is fun if you want to do network penetration testing. Shellshock is hitting Linux really hard right now though.

Steam box just announced the new Borderlands game was coming, found that surprising. I'm kind of a Ubuntu fan boy too.

From reading a little, it seem like you can, but this does not strike me as particularly secure. For instance, if you allow Program X free access because you trust it and Program X turns out to have a security issue, then Program Y can take advantage of that by utilizing Program X to send its data with neither you nor your firewall the wiser. So you still have to be vigilant as to what is running on your computer.

But that's always true.  I think the big benefit of being able to say yes or no to a program upon its first attempt at network traffic is when you first install a new program (whether on purpose or inadvertantly as the result of being exploited), and it attempts to make that connection directly, which is probably >50% of everything out there (see: "script kiddies").  What you're talking about is subtle, and harder to detect by any program, if they (the exploit) don't expose themselves otherwise.

Well if you want something simple and fast i would definately give Elementary os a try, it has an Ubuntu base without all the bloat. It's based on 12.04 so it will be supported till 2017 and a new version based on 14.04 is already in beta. It even has a dock like osx so the transition will also be very easy i think.

I have allot of friends and relatives running this and i NEVER get support calls, and yes they haven't switched to something else yet haha

• Like 1