MLB playoffs 2014

Wmcmanus

Well, there's a sigh of relief, huh Al?  Mad Bum bowled a 300 tonight.  Great job, Giants.

Last night though... Kansas City vs. Oakland... man oh man, does a game like that ever make me love baseball more than ever!  From the 7th inning on to the 12th, it was pretty intense.  Fun to watch the range of emotions of the KC fans as well as those of the players for both teams.  

Incredible game, and I sure am happy for the Royals.  KC has waited a long, long time.  They're my favorite team still in the mix, although I don't give them good odds against the Angels.

Possible close proximity World Series matchups:

Angels vs. Dodgers
Orioles vs. Nationals
Royals vs. Cardinals
A's vs. Giants... well, not so much anymore, you may have to settle for the Angels and call it close enough.

Edited by Wmcmanus
  • Like 2

Great post, Wayne. The Royals game was awesome and I'm glad they won. The Giants and MadBum were dominant. The poor Pirates and their fans were silenced early. I haven't had any confidence in these Giants but I liked their performance tonight and appreciated the clear winner. More baseball fun to come.

It took a toll on my heart and perhaps a year or two off of my life, but that was a sweet win over Strasburg and the Nats!  GO GIANTS!!!

That game had a little something for everyone.  Gotta love it when the home crowd gets all fired up after back to back homeruns (one of which was a monster blast)... only to go on and beat them!  

I thought this was fascinating and remarkably close to how I see the world (or at least the world of baseball).  

http://onlyagame.wbur.org/2014/10/04/mlb-playoffs-hateability-index?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=202403

http://online.wsj.com/articles/the-2014-baseball-playoffs-hateability-index-1412008971

So true about Boston's annoying beards last year.  Same with the stupid "big up yo-self" gestures that Milwaukee was doing in the playoffs a couple of years ago when Prince Fielder was still there.  

Also understand how it's easy to hate the Cardinals (as a reasonable Yankee substitute) and to love the Royals (a small ball style on a low budget, kind of like the A's and Rays in recent years).

There are also specific players that you love to hate, especially the roid'ers who keep producing (David Ortiz, Nelson Cruz, etc.).  

Edited by Wmcmanus

That was incredible! What an intense game!

Easily the most fun I've had watching the giants since game 1 of the 2012 World Series when Pablo single handedly killed Verlander and the Tigers.

Hats off to the Nationals. They battled till the end.

Ya, just makes you wonder how a team can bounce back from that.  One out away from a complete game shutout in the bottom of the 9th and you pull the guy who has been dominant all night?  Roll the dice with a fresh arm, a guy who might be jittery, might be overhyped, might not locate his pitches?  Regular season, sure turn it over to the closer, but I'd prefer to stick with the guy who got me there in the playoffs.  At least until he showed signs of fatigue or being rattled. 

I don't blame the Nats manager for pulling Zimmerman for his closer. That is a totally defensible move that just happened to backfire.

I do, however blame him and Cabrera for getting themselves tossed arguing balls and strikes. What a stupid and selfish thing to do. They let their emotions get the better of them and they absolutely hurt their teams chances of winning. Especially Cabrera. He took a power bat out of the lineup. Bochy time and again had the Giants pitch around other Nats to go after Cabrera's light hitting replacement. What an absolute mistake.

Never mind the fact that the pitch tracker showed they were strikes anyways. Even if the pitches were way outside, you have to keep your head and keep yourselves in the game there.

Edited by TMoney
  • Like 1

I'm really happy the AL representative is going to be someone new. Good luck to both teams.

Partial to B'more as I went to college in Annapolis and caught a lot of games at Camden, but I can't really root against the Royals given what that fan base has had to go through.

Edited by TMoney