MLB playoffs 2014

Wmcmanus

MVP of the series so far? The Giants bullpen. Outside of Bum, every starting pitcher in this series has been toast. With the exception of game 2 the pen has been lights out all post season. I still can't believe we won the 18 inning game.

Also, nice to see Buster step up and play like the superstar he is. Man are the Giants ever lucky to have him. He is the fulcrum the rest of the team pivots around.

Our pitching has been amazing, period.  Nobody has given up big runs and the bullpen has been unbelievable.  Crazy wins are wins, and the Royals are coasting on some pretty wacky wins to date.  They haven't lost any postseason games, but we have played the extra one-game playoff and only lost 2 games by a total of 4 runs so far.  I want to close it out tomorrow at home with MadBum on the mound.  I will be there and will do my part.   8)

Congrats, Giants!  Couldn't believe Matheny left Wacha in after his 4 pitch walk.  That just blew my mind.  

The guy is a great pitcher but #1 he's a starter (and certainly not a 9th inning guy even if used in spot relief), #2 he missed nearly 3 months down the stretch, #3 he hadn't pitched in 20 days.  So he was actually doing exactly what you had to expect/fear from a guy who is rusty.  He couldn't find his change up.  So get him out of there and turn it over to someone who is calm and groomed for the role.  

Bochy/Matheny was the biggest mismatch in this series...

Agreed, as well, and although Joe Buck is generally cheesy as hell to begin with, I thought he made the right call by saying "The Giants win the pennant" just once and then shutting up (ala Vin Scully) and letting the sights and sounds takeover.  It was obviously something he had thought about (sounded rehearsed) but still, it was entirely appropriate in my opinion to make that acknowledgment to history.

Who said I was comparing them, or making any statement other than Ishikawa's walk-off pennant-winning blast was the first since Thomson's?  I have a large photograph of The Shot Heard Round the World that was autographed by Bobby Thomson and Ralph Branca in my office, but I don't have any plans to get Ishikawa and Wacha to sign its twin.

For my part, I don't think I would ever call Travis Ishi because that name is pretty well locked up by a more famous guy who was the last of his tribe.

Late to the party, but huge congrats to the Giants for closing out the series in a big way, and agree with analyses above by Wayne, Al, and TMon.  Bochy, indeed, is the wizard behind the mask, and deserves huge credit, but he needed and got the performance on the field from his lads.

I can't help but wish this series goes 7.  Who doesn't have a soft spot for the Royals?  Can't believe we have to wait till Tuesday, but from then, game on.

Just wondering how many of the World Series games Al will be going to and making me green with envy!?!?!?  But do enjoy, whether you're in attendance or not.  It's not every year that you Bay'ers get to do this... just every other!!!

In the meantime, Go Royals!  Ok, so I don't really have a strong connection, but did live in town for a year when I was at UMKC, so they're kind of, sort of, one of my teams.  But then again, so are the Giants.  No connection at all there, but I've always liked the Giants (and boo, I know, the Dodgers, but that's mainly because of Vin and it's hard to blame a guy for liking a living legend who is also a nice, humble old man).

Edited by Wmcmanus

Just wondering how many of the World Series games Al will be going to and making me green with envy!?!?!?  But do enjoy, whether you're in attendance or not.  It's not every year that you Bay'ers get to do this... just every other!!!

In the meantime, Go Royals!  Ok, so I don't really have a strong connection, but did live in town for a year when I was at UMKC, so they're kind of, sort of, one of my teams.  But then again, so are the Giants.  No connection at all there, but I've always liked the Giants (and boo, I know, the Dodgers, but that's mainly because of Vin and it's hard to blame a guy for liking a living legend who is also a nice, humble old man).

You'd think ticket prices would be cheaper seeing as how we've been so often. Totally not the case. Everyone knows what a good time it is and prices are as high as they've ever been. Over the years I've been to every round of the playoffs except the World Series. I know I just bought a new car, but still, I'm going to try like hell to be there!

I get the feeling its going to be a great series. I'd love to see the Giants sweep, but the Royals sure look like they come to play and play hard.