Head Case Survivalists

VPI

Wouldn't having your trekking pole thing right in the middle of the tent be a pain in the ass?  I have looked at some that use the trekking poles for support and kind of like the idea of something like the Veda tents or maybe a Lightheart.  http://lightheartgear.com/index.php/tents/lightheart-duo-tents/product/view/6/5

I am very happy with both Western Mountaineering bags I have picked up.  Not sure if a treated down or synthetic might be better in a very humid environment down there though.

I am looking at some minimalists tents from Tarptent and trying to figure out what Cuben Fiber is.

Many nights of wet, never getting close to or below freezing?  I'd probably just get synthetic and not worry about it.  For how not-that-low the temps would be, you really just need minimal extra warmth, especially if you don't mind sleeping in a few layers.

The quality on the WM bags is just great.  My "summer" sleeping bag is this Mountain Hardwear, which is about as warm as it gets for only 1lb (used it down to 20ish with a few layers at 12,500ft).  Pretty narrow cut, though: http://www.mountainhardwear.com/mtn-speed-32-regular-OU8519.html

Spent some time at the REI sale.  Some really good deals there.  $105 off the Baltoro 75.  Ended up getting the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 with the footprint for around $260 out the door plus a bunch of winter gym/running clothes.

• Like 2

Yeah the sale price was not marked anywhere in the store, just showed up when I checked out.  Might be a pricing error but getting the tent and the overpriced Big Agnes footprint seemed like the best deal I was going to find on a tent.

This was the only UL2 in the store. They do have a clearance on the Veda 2P for $299 now as well.

Cool. I have a 20% off coupon but not good for Big Agnes. I will check out the Veda.

It needs 4 trekking poles which is fine when I'm not alone.  i have 2 pairs of trekking poles so can always carry extra pair if I go out alone, which will not be the norm.  May pick up a pair of folding poles.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...