Head Case Survivalists

VPI

Ha! now you are going to need a hand-cranked dynamo power generator so that you can charge your external batt pack for the ipad while surviving out in the wild.

We use a tiny solar pack that can charge an iPhone to use the camera with gps (in a waterproof Lifeproof case). It was maybe $110 at the local Boy Scout store for a 9600 mah solar pack that only needs about 4 to 5 hours of sunlight a day.

Started looking at packs. Since it is most likely that I will not be doing any trips of more than 3 days and no cold weather I'm thinking something between 45 and 50 liters. JP and I are thinking of doing an overnight trip on the Florida Trail not too far from us. Just doing the research since I will not be using it for at least a couple of months. There are a couple of rei and Osprey packs that interest me. I also saw some Deuter packs but never heard of them so need to read some reviews.

I am thinking Osprey for a lightweight pack.  The Kestrel and Atmos series are on my list.

My Gregory is heavy but seemed to be better built that anything I looked at.  It is also very comfortable with weight up to 50 pounds so far in trial walks.

As you get ready to purchase don't forget http://www.geartrade.com/- it's the last bastion of deals from the likes of Steep and Cheap and Back Country as well as used gear from individuals.  I've seen some pretty great deals go through there.

This one might be worth looking at for you Jeff.  http://www.geartrade.com/item/346525/arcteryx-needle-35nossize-large

A 39L bag at almost 7 pounds.  Is it bulletproof?  >:D

The idea of carrying 3 or 4 extra pounds is not a concern.  I've gone 12 to 14 with a 40 pound load without a waist belt.  It was not at altitude but I think I will be okay.  Their suspension system is supposed to be excellent.  The company is owned by Dana Gleason who owned Dana Designs.  They are made in 'Merica and will likely outlast an REI or Osprey pack.  I'm just looking.  Remember, I have a steel framed road bike so not a weight weenie. Besides, I will have my sherpa, raffy.

A well designed waist belt seems to make all the difference as going from not putting the bag on properly to actually using the belt right and supporting most of the weight on my hips made a huge difference.  The Gregory waist belts are also very comfortable.

I am pretty sure the Dana guy was the one Ari was telling me about when we discussed bags when I was in NYC last. 

I am pretty sure the Dana guy was the one Ari was telling me about when we discussed bags when I was in NYC last. 

It was either Dana or Gregory. I think Dana. 

I have an older Gregory Lassen pack (similar to the Baltoro 65) that I really like, but was always curious if Dana was worth it. 

Ultimately the only thing that *really* matters is how they fit you. If its not comfy, you wont use it enough to wear it out :P If it does fit you well, you will probably buy a something slightly different to do something slightly different slightly better before you wear it out anyways, because head-case. 

• Like 1

Did some more research and learned that the Rush, Swift and Big Mountain are made on the US Air Force Base in the Philippines. Still considering the Big Mountain but will continue the search since I have time before I will need it. nate, the Rush us nice. At that size I've been considering a Goruck GR2 which would be used for weekend travel more than hiking.

Added the Hill People Gear Ute to the list: http://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/tabid/762/ProductID/10/Default.aspx

I have Tarahumara pack and recon bag. Their gear is interchangeable and well made by a company called First Spear. The Hill brothers test their gear regularly in Colorado. I follow them on FB and they are always out hunting and hiking. They have great reviews on the Ute. One review compares it to a Mystery Ranch, Sone Glacier and Kifaru with a positive result.

fe0d67270c4f03485ef20a8bd911bda1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am very happy with both Western Mountaineering bags I have picked up.  Not sure if a treated down or synthetic might be better in a very humid environment down there though.

I am looking at some minimalists tents from Tarptent and trying to figure out what Cuben Fiber is.

I've been checking this out:

http://store.seekoutside.com/lil-bug-out-shelter-base-and-3-piece-vestibule/

CTF3 (Cuben Fiber) is a product marketed and developed by the Cuben Fiber and Cubic Tech Corporations as a high-performance non-woven fabric for applications such as yacht sails, airship hulls, kites and many designs that require extremely strong rip resistance and light weight.