Apex Spire

blessingx

• 6 months later...

damn i'm shocked they discontinued the Peak. Don't know how many they sold but it seems like it was the most talked about Apex amp by far.

I have #41 volcano and #39 peak. I bought them on 3/2014 so I do not think there are too many out there. I also own a wheatfield ha-2 amplifier which I hear only 50 were made. Just absolute gem amplifier's imo. The peak/volcano is an incredible pre amp as well as headphone amp.

Jib,

The HA--2 is indeed a gem.  I had one, upgraded it a bit and built two more insane variants with Pete's guidance and additional help from the DIY community.  If you have never taken the cover off the HA-2 you should, taking proper safety precautions, and check on the power supply caps and R1.  The power trafo runs hot and the caps are run pretty hard which can lead to premature failure and increased noise. 

I bought the ha-2 from ttvj and it came with a 1 year warranty and fresh refurbishment from Pete. I will take the cover off eventually but right now I'm just going to enjoy it since for at least a year any repair will be under warranty. Thank you for the heads up though. It def. runs hot. I can see why the Teton has such a big heat sink. The amp is very quiet so any increased noise should be noticeable. Really makes my hd800 sing imo. The v200 is probably the closest at the ha-2's price range and I still prefer the ha-2 with hd800's. Add in a brimar 5u4g, gec 6as7g, and Marconi b65 and you have something really special. 

• Like 1