Oppo PM3

Orange

So Oppo are following up the release of their PM1 & PM2 planar's with the 2015 release of the PM3 which is a closed back portable planar with high sensitivity that Oppo claim will run directly from your DAP.

I'm not totally sure, but this maybe the first portable planar ever or if not maybe for a long time.

TYLL Hertsens has a video interview with a guy from Oppo on his innerfidelity site that you may like to check, but looks like planar manufacturers are really looking to push the envelope with this type of driver technology.

They look like Ultrasones. 

Which reminds me, I once combined a set of Ultrasone HFI-780 with SFI ortho drivers.

I'd love the PM3's gifted to me for Christmas (providing they include sticky tape to protect the glossy cups - lol)

Portable planar's look to be a new emerging market so I think that's quite an exciting prospect to see if other manufacturers follow, maybe?

They sounded pretty good to me on short listen.

And yes, portable orthos are coming. Keep your eye out.

Hi Tyll!

I first knew of the PM3 from your CanJam video of these on your site and I'm so glad you made it as I'm so excited about these headphones as they cover so many bases for me personally.

I'm in the market for portable headphones, I really want some hi-fidelity sound quality that planar's offer, sealed back makes perfect sense for portables and I can't afford another amplifier than my current one but apparently these hp's don't necessarily require one for sounding good, so I'm really appreciating the release of these and just hope they aren't going to be too expensive to buy out of my Christmas money as I hear these are due for release early 2015?

But I wonder what other planar manufacturers are going to be coming out with too as you tease with "portable orthos are coming"!

Please tell us more?

I know you know new stuff first!

They sounded good to me as well.

I will order them as soon as they are available.

Awesome!

This is the one true portable ortho:

bca78bba403d4ecb54d897878a11af4c.jpg

Runner up the YHD series.

There are plenty of orthos small enough to be considered portable. They just haven't been produced for > 20 years.

I never knew this! Edited by Orange

This is the one true portable ortho:

bca78bba403d4ecb54d897878a11af4c.jpg

Runner up the YHD series.

There are plenty of orthos small enough to be considered portable. They just haven't been produced for > 20 years.

Yep except they don't sound as good as even the stock HP-1. Nor is the comfort to be something commended. 

What's good about the YH-5M is good value within the collectors market. I remember buying mine and selling it 2 weeks later with no problems on the asking price to break even after shipping and JP currency conversion.

Guys newer pics of PM-3 at public demo shows have a different look now.

Some different colors with grey earpads (as well as traditional black, and a white pair too),

but the cups are also no longer high gloss. They have a brushed metal look to them now.

http://pj.hiapk.com/earphone/141031/1558850.html

929-141031111431-50.jpg

Wow it looks better now, I'm not a fan of high gloss.

Price is 399 USD?