Oppo PM3

Orange

Where is the lying part found? I read your post last night and went back to see if he misstated himself but I don't see anything wrong with his post.

I don't know whether Smarty-pants works (or shills) for Oppo.  However, a quick check of his Head-Fi posting history shows that he mostly posts in the various Oppo threads.  I only bothered to read a few of the posts, but he appears to present himself as someone that does NOT work for Oppo.  He is certainly not labeled a MoT there.

• 4 months later...

I got a pair of PM3s. I haven't heard any Oppo phones prior to these. In fact its been many many years since I've even heard a planar phone (audeze lcd-2 in canjam LA I think).

In short they are dope ass cans. Really really really comfortable, like when I put them on I literally sighed they felt so nice. As I always said I have a large n' long head, and have fit issues with lots of headphones, no issues here. Pads are super comfy, ears fit perfectly in the cups, really nice padding on the headband and great weight distribution. Plus the pads and headband smell amazing. Best smelling headphone since the GS1000.

Sound is very midrange centric, and it is a lovely midrange. Pretty much accurate with maybe just a bit of romantic flair thrown in. Or maybe they are totally accurate and I hear them as romantic because accuracy is romantic. Nothing wrong with the highs but I'd prefer a bit more bite. You can hear the midbass just fine but it lacks slam. The lowest bass frequencies aren't very prominent at all.

Great soundstage, if I didn't know and you told me they were open cans I'd probably believe you for a bit.

As much as I love midbass slam I can overlook the lack of it due to the great midrange and outstanding comfort. I anticipate these cans getting a lot of use at work, with the V-Moda M100s going on the shelf for a while.

Only way I've used them is straight out of my Moto Gs headphone jack. Pretty easy to get decent volume out of them, although I do have the volume maxed out on some tracks that get me excited. I'll probably invest in a portable amp for the first time in my audio career because its fun to buy shit, but I am pretty happy with them straight out the phone.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a few observations on this hp:

*fit, finish build quality is top tier...very well done. Only gripe is that the pleather headphone looks and feels a little cheap. Come on Oppo don't cheap out at this price!

*the x5 DAP that I'd planned on using with the pm-3 is only a decent pairing. You'll need a portable amp to pair with a DAP if you want to get them most from this hp. I don't give a damn what the specs say.

*the pm-3 scales fairly nicely with a desktop amp. Moving to an Asgard 2 the bass is punchier, mids loose a bit of hollowness and come forward a touch.

*Overall the sound is fairly neutral with a slight touch of warmth. Decay of notes is very quick as you'd expect from a planar. 

I give the pm-3 an A-. This is truly an enjoyable portable planar. 

Just a few observations on this hp:

*fit, finish build quality is top tier...very well done. Only gripe is that the pleather headphone looks and feels a little cheap. Come on Oppo don't cheap out at this price!

*the x5 DAP that I'd planned on using with the pm-3 is only a decent pairing. You'll need a portable amp to pair with a DAP if you want to get them most from this hp. I don't give a damn what the specs say.

*the pm-3 scales fairly nicely with a desktop amp. Moving to an Asgard 2 the bass is punchier, mids loose a bit of hollowness and come forward a touch.

*Overall the sound is fairly neutral with a slight touch of warmth. Decay of notes is very quick as you'd expect from a planar. 

I give the pm-3 an A-. This is truly an enjoyable portable planar. 

Cosmetics can be subjective, I think the pleather looks fine. I think we generally agree the headphone has top notch fit and finish, especially at this price point.

I've only used the PM-3 straight out of my headphone, and it sounds great, but I agree I'll want to add an external amp at some point, I could use a little more volume on some tracks. I haven't even tried it with a desktop amp yet because the PM3 hasn't left my work since I got it.

The bass lacks midbass impact but I don't find it wanting at all, which is odd because lack of bass is usually a big complaint of mine. I guess its because they are planars and so you can really hear all of the bass, even if you can't feel it strongly. I do think they could use a tad bit more high frequency sparkle but its not something I think about when I'm listening.

It really is a winner. If you need a closed headphone for really long listening sessions I can't think of a better option. Super duper comfortable, super easy going sound. I think A- is an appropriate grade.

• 1 month later...

It really is a winner. If you need a closed headphone for really long listening sessions I can't think of a better option. Super duper comfortable, super easy going sound. I think A- is an appropriate grade.

100% agree with the above, I've had my pair for a few weeks now and they are quite nice.  Very comfy, lightweight with a pleasing bass heavy sound and extremely easy to drive.

• Like 1

Glad you are enjoying them!

Regarding my volume comment in my post above, since I got the One Plus One I don't feel I need an external amp anymore. The OPO gets significantly louder than any phone I've previously owned. Still listening to the PM3 everyday at work.

Ruh rho. Just heard something I can't unhear. Seems like brushes on snare almost go completely missing to my ears.

On Rickey Lee Jone "Dat Dere" 18 seconds in the drummer starts rubbing the brushes on the snare. It's almost inaudible on the PM3 and clear as day on the HP50. Gonna have to grade these down to a B  or so. Love to hear if other hear this. Full review by the end of the week.