Oppo PM3

Orange

I think they are pretty nice cans, the PM3. For my uses I prefer the MSR that I have been playing around with for a while, though I suspect I may be in the vast minority here?

I am going to be doing some full-time listening over the weekend during my convalescing time and if there are any specific questions I can attempt to comment, if I feel like it.

Does anyone else have the PM3 en route or is their FOTM in temporary hiatus?

post-482-14335298575165_thumb.jpg

Edited by luvdunhill

I am thinking of sending mine back.  While they sound pretty good, I just like the HD600 so much better (which is what I currently use in the office).  Basically, unless they are turned up the PM3 sound a little too distant for me.  Also, they still sound like closed headphones.  They do seem to have a little more bass boost at times than I would like.  Since I don't really need closed headphones in my office (and I certainly don't need yet another pair of headphones), I think I am going to return them.  Also, my left ear started to hurt a little after wearing them for a while.  

That's the thing, for $300 something, getting the resolve of an ortho, no glaring flaws, nice looking, easy to drive, neutral, while blocking out external noise (closed) more than meets my expectations for a work headphone.

I didn't like the MSR much at all, personally. Now, if I wanted to lug an amp to work and didn't have to block out sound, the HD600 would be my choice as well.

• Like 1

I was waffling as well, but am leaning away from these now.  Will also need to see what the situation is in the new company vis-a-vis listening abilities.  Would love to be able to bring my HD600 in as well.  Old space got too noisy for it, so settled with the B&W P5-II.  Good, not great.....

That's the thing, for $300 something, getting the resolve of an ortho, no glaring flaws, nice looking, easy to drive, neutral, while blocking out external noise (closed) more than meets my expectations for a work headphone.

I didn't like the MSR much at all, personally. Now, if I wanted to lug an amp to work and didn't have to block out sound, the HD600 would be my choice as well.

$400

If I needed a pair of closed headphones, I would keep them.  I thought about keeping them anyway but I have too much junk in the office already and know that I am just going to continue to use the HD600 95% of the time. 

Torn between these and the Shure 1540's, need me some closed goodness that is more comfortable than the DT-150. So far i don't really like pad situation, i'm guessing they won't sell spares since they're a bitch to swap. And i can see them going to shit in 2 years if not sooner with frequent use. But the 1540 has some quirks as well it seems.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a pair of these in black that I just received, that I plan to use for travel. Normally, I don't care for closed cans, but my JH13 IEMs are no longer comfortable, and I am less interested in getting new customs every couple of years as my ears change. I am not used to the "closed" sound, so I feel a bit like I am listening in a tunnel, and they are a touch boomy for my tastes, but they are reasonably comfortable, and the mids are pretty nice. Looking forward to using these with the QP1R.

• 3 months later...

Yeah, definitely a solid pair of closed-backs. Best in class I'd say. If I didn't have the IE800s and liked the practicality of in-ears I'd think about getting a pair. Did improve considerably with an amplifier though while the in-ears are comfortable with just my iPhone. 

• 1 month later...

Somewhat new to Head-case, and late to this Oppo thread; but I enjoy these. They sound pretty good. I use them with my Galaxy Note 3 and they pair nicely. When I had the HA-2, they sounded fantastic. I ended up returning the HA-2 (kind of regret that decision) to get a desktop amp that could also output to my Audioengine A2+ speakers. I've since picked up the Cambridge XS for "on-the-go" with them. I don't use them in the house, but when I tried them with my Denon AVR, that is when they sounded the best to me. I love my Denon receiver as it has a "tube like" sound that I enjoy.