Monster Inspiration cable repair ?

Decode42

Hey all, I need some help here if anyone knows anything about Monster Headphones. My puppy got to the chord and im trying to splice it to a line from another high quality headphone i had it working at some point but when i went to go back in for surgery to Solder the lines i couldn't get them working again.

Does anyone know the wiring setup ? I've looked online and everyone says different things. I have a Black, White, Green, Yellow and red coming from the headphones and then the line im trying to splice to is Red, White, Black and a wire with no insulation which i assume is the ground. Like i said i had them working perfectly before.

Any help would be appreciated greatly as i am a total noob with headphone wiring setups.

ilFP38D.jpg?1

No-one here owns Monster headphones, and those few that could figure it out probably don't care enough to read this thread and/or do it for you.

Your best bet is to figure it out for yourself -- use an ohmmeter to figure out which wires are totally not connected to the others (infinite resistance), and which are actually doing something (less than infinite resistance), the run some ac signal through it to figure out what they do.

Or check head-fi.org.

I personally boycott Monster anything, except the energy drinks, just because they are ludicrously letiginous.

a4pfyh.jpg

Heres a better picture, what are the green and yellow coming from the monsters?

Or buy another cable headphone?

Just not Monster or their cables, neither are pet dog proof

Doubtful if cats would bother

You've proved this to you already

We already knew

Godzilla only has the Monster cable

Everything else is fraud

:)

Edited by Orange

No-one here owns Monster headphones, and those few that could figure it out probably don't care enough to read this thread and/or do it for you.

Your best bet is to figure it out for yourself -- use an ohmmeter to figure out which wires are totally not connected to the others (infinite resistance), and which are actually doing something (less than infinite resistance), the run some ac signal through it to figure out what they do.

Or check head-fi.org.

I personally boycott Monster anything, except the energy drinks, just because they are ludicrously letiginous.

Do you boycott real monsters, like on Halloween? I like Halloween monsters.

Speaking of monsters, one of my pet peeves is that people refer to the Frankenstein Monster as Frankenstein.

Hasn't anyone seen the movies or read the book!? Frankenstein is the doctor. The Monster is either just "the Monster" or "the Frankenstein Monster."

I think that the 5 wires coming out of one side, knowing that one of them has to be safety ground

should give you a real big hint as to how to fix them. But dumping in the garbage where they belong

and getting a decent set of headphones is an infinitely better idea.

Okay, I was wrong, the person who knew how to fix was not too busy to read this thread. Seconded on dumping them and getting better.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to fix these for my little brother i got these for him for his birthday and it was his favorite gift. I don't know much about wiring in headphones more or less the yellow and green color wires and just some simple information would make a kids day better but if you all would rather just throw jokes its cool. Not everyone can spend $300+ on headphones for a 9 year old.

I think that more people knew how to fix this.

but it would be so much easier to ohm out the other end of the cable.

This.  You need to take a DMM and figure it out for yourself.  We'd just be guessing and that's as likely to be wrong as right.  Well, maybe not exactly 50:50 but I can't be bothered to calculate the actual odds given the various scenarios.  While it's not rocket science to fix them I'm not sure it can be done without some disassembly at the drive or trial and error.  Otherwise you may wire the drivers out of phase.  It does seem odd that at the exact puppy-chew-location that the grounds changed from separate to a single wire.  

And FYI - if you're going to copy and paste your exact post from HF you're not likely to find much help anywhere.  

Hey all, I need some help here if anyone knows anything about Monster Headphones. My puppy got to the chord and im trying to splice it to a line from another high quality headphone i had it working at some point but when i went to go back in for surgery to Solder the lines i couldn't get them working again.

Does anyone know the wiring setup ? I've looked online and everyone says different things. I have a Black, White, Green, Yellow and red coming from the headphones and then the line im trying to splice to is Red, White, Black and a wire with no insulation which i assume is the ground. Like i said i had them working perfectly before.

Any help would be appreciated greatly as i am a total noob with headphone wiring setups.

ilFP38D.jpg?1

I think the cable in his left hand is a piece from something else. As Kevin stated, if you still have the other part of the original headphone cable with the plug, and an ohmmeter, that would give you some real clues as to what should go where. Good luck soldering that crap though :) Make sure to get all of the varnish or whatever it is they coat the wires with off. Solder pot would be a big help here.

Edited by Pars